Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Squealing belt

I have had screeching belt problem in the morning for for several months. It was not bad during the summer time: only a couple of seconds after startup, then it disappears. Now we had frost in this region. The belt screams for 15-20 seconds like a hell after startup, waking up all neighbors and they get mad. I adjusted the tension of power steering and alternator belts and sprayed belt conditioner on the pulleys, but it doesn't seem to help. I am at a loss how to stop the belt from screeching. The belt tension might be a little tight, but I don't want it too loose. What is the rule of thumb to adjust the belt tension properly? The belts are only 2 years old.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That will work... My truck does the same thing every morning too... I just rev the engine really high for 15 seconds and then slam it into gear and the rear tires break loose... Cant hardly hear the belts over the tire squeel... Complete joe dirt take-off every morning... I hate my neighbors... If i gotta get up and go to work they can at least wake up and search for a job...

·
im still a junior member?
261 Posts
Could be a pulley out of alignment or a bearing starting to go. Mite even be an over tight timing belt... they usually whine tho. Most likely the power steering belt tho, mine sqeels when my a/c is on and im at full lock on the rack and pinion

·
Registered
421 Posts
the cold hardens the belts, and usually this makes them loose traction on the pulleys, so its not uncommon for a little squeal in the cold. but check your accessories. a common one is the power steering pump. When i changed my belts, turning the wheel while cold caused the belt squeal. that was fixed by adjusting the tension tho.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks. It didn't squeal this morning. It was not so cold. Maybe the rubber was frozen in cold temperature and it couldn't stretch while pulley was spinning, causing the belts skid and squeak. If there's a problem with the pulley or bearing, it should squeal all the time, not just when it is cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts