Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm happy with the stock shifter throw, but I was wondering if there is a way to reduce free play with out buying a short-shifter kit.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What do you mean by free play? Do you mean the ability to move the stick around a bit when its in gear? Not much you can do about that. Can you get a little more specific?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually, some of the "free play" comes from the rubber bushings under the shift plate.
The TWM short shifter comes with aluminum bushings to replace those.
I suppose you could buy the shifter, keep the bushings then sell the rest.

·
Registered
638 Posts
AUTOBOT said:
Seems kinda pointless though don't it
Man bite the bullet and go buy a TWM short shifter
Seriously how could you like the throw of a standard shifter - Did you just come from driving a F350 or something? :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do any of you know of a site where I could order bushings?

I detail used cars at a saturn dealership, and the old saturns have really wobbly shifters. The IONs and VUEs have decent throws and almost no free play. Maybe I should buy an ION!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Saturns are junk IMO.

And the bushings are not sold seperately.
You could have them made i suppose but the price would be more then just buying the TWM shifter to begin with. LOL

·
-
471 Posts
AUTOBOT said:
Actually, some of the "free play" comes from the rubber bushings under the shift plate.
The TWM short shifter comes with aluminum bushings to replace those.
I've got a TWM in my EGT and the difference is dramatic! It snaps into gear very solidly and there's little perceptible play. The only change I made to it was to install 3/4" of nylon spacers under the shift frame to raise the whole assembly to a more comfortable height. The spacers and longer bolts were less than $10 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Naw, even by adding 3/4", it will still be noticably shorter.

·
-
471 Posts
AUTOBOT said:
Naw, even by adding 3/4", it will still be noticably shorter.
Yeah, it's still much lower, at least an inch and a quarter.

Tricked said:
Does anybody think the rubber bushing in the linkage under the hood can be replaced with something like polyurethane? Wouldn't that get rid of some of the play? I put the TWM shifter in and still have very little free-play....still very less than stock, though.
I doubt it would make much, if any difference. If you already have a TWM shifter, what is it that you can't live with? Realistically, the only way to make the system any tighter would be to switch from cables to a solid linkage.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
tricked....i did that to my tib....i forget what exactly i did...but it was pretty much replace the rubber with SS....it was great...and that was with the stock shifter...so i could only imagine what i would feel like if there was no rubber!!! raw dog!

·
-
471 Posts
Tricked said:
Does anybody think the rubber bushing in the linkage under the hood can be replaced with something like polyurethane? Wouldn't that get rid of some of the play? I put the TWM shifter in and still have very little free-play....still very less than stock, though.
I just checked out the with stock bushing on my '04 and found that if you turn it so that the solid part is inline with the cable, there's actually very little flex in it. I also tried removing the 14 oz. weight that's on the linkage, but I didn't like the feel without it. It eliminated the satifying thunk when it pops into gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts