Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my Shark Racing Adjustable Shifter. I was wondering what process I should go through to remove the stock shifter boot and the molding around the shifter housing. I don't need detailed instructions as far as installing it, however I just tried to push back the leather boot and it was fighting me pretty good. Is there a way to easily remove this? It seems like the straight edges will push back, but the corners are held in place.

Any direction would be appreciated. Obviously anyone who has replaced the stock 5-speed manual transmission with any type of short shifter has gone through this so thanks for any advise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
I just recieved my Shark Racing Adjustable Shifter. I was wondering what process I should go through to remove the stock shifter boot and the molding around the shifter housing.
the boot is screwed to the shifter bezel from underneath on the '01-03. the boot doesn't just pop out like it does on the 04. the black section of the console is held in with three clips on either side. just pull up hard, or use a flat blade to pry it up.

and here's the sequel to the excellent shark shifter DIY. raising the shifter frame to maximize the shark shifter's range:

http://elantragtclub.com/index/id402.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Elpi said:
i bought the twm and its really easy and maximum 1 hour of work
if you have the right tools. if not it's a PITA. i didn't have a punch or a way to get the locking nut off. i didn't even bother changing the rubber bushings out. and taking the end caps off is hard if you don't have something comprable to a vice. in short make sure you don't start unless u have the tools. took me maybe 2 hours to finish cus i had to rig tools that were good enough to get the job done.
 

·
Broke @$$ Fool
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
seraph0503 said:
if you have the right tools. if not it's a PITA. i didn't have a punch or a way to get the locking nut off. i didn't even bother changing the rubber bushings out. and taking the end caps off is hard if you don't have something comprable to a vice. in short make sure you don't start unless u have the tools. took me maybe 2 hours to finish cus i had to rig tools that were good enough to get the job done.
I will second that! Those were the only problems we ran into also. Also, make sure you have a little grease to grease up the new shifter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I brought a small triangular file I think I can get the speed nut off with. I just couldn't justify $80 for a dremmel.

Now I have to wait 4 days for the local Hyundai dealership to special order the $1.43 replacement speed nut. I hope to get the spring post out with the flat end of a nail.

If all else fails I'll give up and buy the right damn tools. :mad:
 

·
Newbie Forever
Joined
·
887 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
I brought a small triangular file I think I can get the speed nut off with. I just couldn't justify $80 for a dremmel.

Now I have to wait 4 days for the local Hyundai dealership to special order the $1.43 replacement speed nut. I hope to get the spring post out with the flat end of a nail.

If all else fails I'll give up and buy the right damn tools. :mad:
You don't need to cut off the speed nut. Use a razor blade to lift it and then pry it off with a small screwdriver. Plus you can reuse the nut. Just go slow and please don't cut you finger off!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean lift the teeth of the nut? I tried to pry it using a kitchen knife (I immediately bent a razor blade) and the teeth seemed to dig in the more I pryed. I'm sick of waiting on Hyundai for a replacement nut so if you have further input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
Do you mean lift the teeth of the nut? I tried to pry it using a kitchen knife (I immediately bent a razor blade) and the teeth seemed to dig in the more I pryed. I'm sick of waiting on Hyundai for a replacement nut so if you have further input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

go to home depot they are like $.09 I believe the size is 7/16"

--NY
 

·
Newbie Forever
Joined
·
887 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
Do you mean lift the teeth of the nut? I tried to pry it using a kitchen knife (I immediately bent a razor blade) and the teeth seemed to dig in the more I pryed. I'm sick of waiting on Hyundai for a replacement nut so if you have further input I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
No, from the flat side I wiggled the blade and got it lift the nut slightly. Then I shoved a small screwdriver and pryed it off. Just take your time with it. I think Lowes or Home depot may have these nuts also. I re-used mine three times with no problems...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys....I'm going to leave work early and give it a shot.

Well....

Couldn't find one at the Depot. Called Hyundai and the nut was in so went and got it.

Tried to remove the nut w/screwdriver and it wasn't happening. Used a small file to cut a portion of it off and it came free. If anyone wants to do this and not use a dremmel, I recomend a $4 file. Takes a bit of elbow grease but same result.

Installed the shifter- I might raise it at some point but I like it not-too-short right now. Big improvement.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top