Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During heavy acceleration typically getting onto a highway at about 100-110km/h 60-70mph when the tachometer gets into the red before the car shifts to what I believe to be the final gear. There is sometimes a shudder in the engine area. It has shaken the car a time or two.

---------- Post added 08-19-2010 at 01:18 PM ----------

I guess I should provide a little more info. There are about 132k km (85k m) The plugs were replaced last year as was the timing belt. I'm thinking it could be an O2 sensor or the transmission fluid or the fuel filter. None of those 3 has been done for a while. The O2 sensor has never been checked.

What are the perils of not having the transmission fluid flushed or the fuel filter changed?

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
During heavy acceleration typically getting onto a highway at about 100-110km/h 60-70mph when the tachometer gets into the red before the car shifts to what I believe to be the final gear. There is sometimes a shudder in the engine area. It has shaken the car a time or two.

---------- Post added 08-19-2010 at 01:18 PM ----------

I guess I should provide a little more info. There are about 132k km (85k m) The plugs were replaced last year as was the timing belt. I'm thinking it could be an O2 sensor or the transmission fluid or the fuel filter. None of those 3 has been done for a while. The O2 sensor has never been checked.

What are the perils of not having the transmission fluid flushed or the fuel filter changed?
It sounds like a shift shudder. That is where the trans is attempting to shift, but has trouble going into the next gear smoothly. It is a problem in the trans, and most likely cause of this is incorrect fluid level or the fluid is running too cool. Check the fluid level first, level ground and when the car is HOT (preferably have the heater off). The level must be at the top hot line, no higher or lower than that. It will shudder or shift flare otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts