Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my sirius satelite radio installed, let me tell you, no elantra should be without it. I will post pics as soon as I get the chance. After installation and purchasing and a 1 year subscription the total comes out to be somewhere around $325....well worth it!!!

:drive:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Keyan said:
If I had a choise between XM or Sirius....
I'd go with XM, sorry. :)
XM has the upper hand when it comes to the money market, and I'm told it has better stations.

Well,
Sirius has better coverage and music imo...

I had XM for a year, everytime I went on a road trip (in FL, flat-land) and it cut out about every 40-50mi, was friggin annoying...

With Sirius I drove from tampa to miami, from miami to gainesville, then back to tampa, never cut out ONCE... and the overall music quality (sound-wise) is better than XM ever was...

XM has the money to market, but they didn't spend the money where it should have been spent... in the product...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok.. lets look at the structure of XM and Sirus... XM has two geosync sats in orbit.. with a third on the ground...

Sirius has three live birds in the air.. and a 4th incase any thing goes wrong.. the sound quality is MUCH better... the DJ's rock.. their online services are great... and I dont have to pay $1.99 more for a "premium" channel..

Besides.. the 04 GT is Sirius ready all you need is the kenwood reciver and the antenna.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I work at BMW doing quality control and most of our new cars are Sirius ready. One Mini customer came in complaining that their Sirius cuts out a lot. So I went on a road test with it to diagnose the problem. It turns out that it would only cut out on roads with a lot of trees. I drove the car nearly 30 minutes around Princeton, NJ and Lawrenceville, NJ only to find that it is always clear on roads with no trees, but the minute you ride down a road covered in trees, that shit cuts right out. I looked at the customer address on the repair order and it said they lived in Cranbury, NJ. My co-worker lives in Cranbury and he says there are mad trees there. Anyway, the main thing I found out about Sirius was that the sound quality wasn't that great. It sounded like low quality MP3's, maybe 96kb or 64KB, definitely not 128 or 192. XM is a little better but not by much. I think it is excellent that the music is uncensored, just the the digital cable music stations.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm...I really haven't had any problems like that, and the sound is just as good as any...maybe the wiring is screwed up. The only time it really cuts out is when I'm stopped under a bridge...anyway, I still Love it, and now that football season is underway....IT ROCKS!

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
For those of you who have satellite radio, is it something that you guys will always get from now on instead of plain old AM/FM radio? Is it worth the $10-13 per month for the service?

The last thing I want is another contract, but one thing that I admit that I can never give up anymore is TiVo service. I'm interested in trying satellite radio, but I don't know if all the money spent on the equipment is worth it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Speaking for myself, I don't have satellite radio. I am waiting on digital radio to see what happens. Digital radio is supposed to be better quality, and best of all; it will be free. I am guessing that very soon the satellite radio companies will offer the equipment for free, as did the satellite TV companies eventually did and do. Also on the Tivo, you can get that service for free as well. What I did is buy a video capture card for my computer (ATI all in wonder Radeon,) and I have all the features of Tivo and then some. Best of all, I don't pay a monthly fee.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I thought the same thing. Now that I dont hear all the damn commercials all the time, I love it. I still think sirius has better programming, but Howard Stern would NOT be my motivating factor for sirius.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had sirius since July and love not having to hear about some girl running in a feild not worried about here infections or period accidents.

Eminem also has his own show (shade 45)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nascar(almost all year around seasons) is on xm if your trucking I have xm anyday. The only thing I missed was national public radio You can goto sleep listening to that. Oh and by the way I drove for crete carriers we had a nice cheap buy to get xm so I might be a little more favoritive of it for that reason too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts