Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last June I was struggling to keep afloat and lost my apartment. I wound up temporarily moving in with my father and his wife so that I wouldn't be out on the street. In August, my older sister (who was also starting to have trouble) and I made a deal to get an apartment together and split the bills 50/50. In October we got a place and moved in together. Since then, things have been getting better for us and we have been able to get back on our feet to the point where we are living comfortably. We both work two jobs and go to college. A couple weeks ago, she said that she was heading out to babysit for a friend. She never came back that I know of, except to get some clothes, until tonight at around 11:00pm. She told me that she has been staying with her friend and that she wants to move in with her. When I added up her share of the bills for this month and gave her the total, she said that she should only have to pay half of it because she hasn't been here. If she does leave, I am totally screwed as I can not afford to keep this place up by myself as well as pay all of the bills. I am beyond pissed at her right now...:mad:

Somehow I had a feeling that this would eventually happen..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would stay on your sister about this, but in the meantime either 1) try to find a new roommate to share expenses in your current apt, or 2) move in with someone else in their place. But be sure you understand the conditions of your current lease - many are jointly and severally liable for the rent, meaning you may be legally responsible to the landlord for your sister's share of unpaid rent going forward.

Your sister claiming she is only responsible for "half of her half" of expenses, since she wasnt there, is beyond ridiculous. She is responsible for half of the expenses IF that is what you two agreed on up front. Would help if this were in writing. What if she took a months' vacation - would she claim that she is not responsible for ANY expenses that month? She needs to grow up.

I see cases like yours all the time on Peoples Court and Judge Judy. Hope you two can work it out amicably. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...yes I should have gotten our agreement in writing and even thought to but didn't. We would have to break our lease which might be hard to do and our Landlady even explained that to us. My sister will be 27 next month and I am 25 (she is 1.5 years older). What really sucks is that I was dumb enough to put all of the bills in my name.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Rather she was there or not shouldn't determine how much of the bills she pays. If your aggreement was 50/50 then that's what should be paid no matter what. Try not to take offense to this but it seems like she's being kinda of a cunt about this and at 27 years old she should be more responsible than this.

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
min...she pays 1/2 the rent till lease is up. but she really need to step up and do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Take all her stuff and put it in storage untill she pays up. Since she decided not to live there, her stuff doesn't need to live there either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to try to have talk with her tomorrow if possible and our mother might too so we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
this like same EXACT thing happened to a really good friend of mine 2 months ago. His sister basically bailed on him for about 800$ over the course of 2 months and just WOULD NOT pay him back. and he couldnt afford all the bills solo..

he seriously scraped together cash for 2 months to keep things afloat and *****ed and pleaded with her like daily until she eventually paid back most of it..
freakin awful when Anyone pulls that card, 10x worse when its immediate family..

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I didn't get to talk to her yet but I did get the money. I logged into her online bank account and transferred the money into my account.

haha post #69!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Yeah... that was not a smart way to do things. When she realizes what has been done, and is pissed, she will have the ability to have you arrested.

Wire fraud among other things.

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
I know she is family but she is screwing you over. She sounds selfish to me. She sounds like she is very immature. I cant stand people who are grown *** and are bad with money. I know we all have problems but Im sure on her end she has no excuse. After this dilemma...I would have your parents harp on her too about it. Oh and for future reference...Make them sign a legal contract saying that they are a responsible party legal forms are cheap for leases. She sounds like a wonderful sister (sarcasm) I wouldnt do **** for her in the future. Because everytime she wanted something I would bring up the fact...Oh you remember that one time. I know you get forgive and forget, but family doesnt screw family. Oh and because you had a verbal aggrement it is your words against hers so it wont hold up in court. Cut your loses and like said before find a new roomate.

Her bailing on you is wrong but stealing is even worse.How would you feel if you bailed on someone and then they just took your elantra for payment...You would be pissed. Same degree. You feel and you are owed money but your not the IRS. You have no rights to her bank account. But then again she is so bad with money she may not notice any money is gone...lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes what I did is technically a criminal offense but I doubt she'd be smart enough to press charges. Besides, I sent her a text letting her know I transferred the money out of her account.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
So, if she walks into your apartment while you are not there, steals all your **** because she feels it is "owed" to her, then texts you that she transferred belongings out of your apartment - you won't be mad, right?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yeah sending a text message saying "hey I took your money" doesn't make it ok. That would be like a bank robber leaving a thank you note after robbing them.

Well at least the only apartment you'll be sharing now is a 10 by 10 with your new boyfriend, but hey the rent will be free.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeez you guys are harsh! She sent me a reply saying it was okay.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.