Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any skiers here at EXD?

My wife wants to go skiing for some reason this winter. I've never been skiing. Will I be a total suck? She's been but not for at least 8 years maybe more.

Any of you PA people recommend a certain place in PA that's better than the others? Cheaper? All I know is that the PA ones are much better than the VA ones (and that's saying something since usually PA is crap in all situations, hah!).

So... thoughts?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
7 psi tunned by poweraxel
3,203 Posts
I used to ski years ago, i snowboard now but, learning to snowboard is a bit more hard.

From what i remember the first time i went to ski i was 14 and i picked it up in 1 day, its very easy to learn, I took my wife skiing once and it was her first time too, she did very well on her first time.

Most ski resorts have a beginner run where you can practice.

one tip: when going down hill and if you want to slow down or stop, put the front tip of your skis together like a "V" to make a snow plow.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Never been either but I'm sure I'd "be a total suck". Ha.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
Do It. go wth the wife, have fun.
i went for my first time just a few years ago and its definitely rough, but youll pick it up. just keep going on the "sissy" runs that zig zag down hills. after about 3 runs i started to get the hang of it.

i really want to snow board, but i hear that takes about 2-2.5x the amount of practice as skiis if youve never done it before.

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
James you can ride a tube while the wife skis. lol

Seriously,Come to the Poconos!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would say "go for it!". Personally, I would take a 1hr instruction and go from there.
I did that and it was great fun. You will be amazed at yourselves how far you can come on one session on the slopes.
A word of advice... don't dress too warm as it is quite a work-out when you first start. :)

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
^agree with the clothing. but i didnt take any instruction, just kept doing the easy kid courses and the zig zag courses over and over. trust me there WILL be other people doing them, and alot of them are doing it because they cant skii. i learned alot from watching others, esp younger kids. those little bastards pick stuff up quick.
just dont be a moron and youll get it, persistence is key too.

im definitely a "i can do it myself" kinda guy. im also cheap haha. but taking a quick lesson might net you a big win. i duno

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
skiing is pretty easy to pick up and do, but make sure you're going to a place that has a good beginner's section.

i went this year in vancouver, 2nd time i had ever been, 1st time for everyone else. place was horrible for beginners. the bunny slope was too short, and too difficult to get to off the lift, and the next level hill was way too much for a beginner, just nothing but a long straight steep hill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts