Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
no longer missing
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a long time ago about a funky smell that comes from the vents if any of you remember. Alot of you have the same problem and I was just wondering if anyone found a way to get rid of it cause its baaaack!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Its mold.Theres a spray that you spray in to the evaporator that gets rid of the smell.I don't remember where you can get it thou Ill see what I can find out

·
no longer missing
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O_GT said:
Its mold.Theres a spray that you spray in to the evaporator that gets rid of the smell.I don't remember where you can get it thou Ill see what I can find out

Thank you cause that smell is the worst!

·
no longer missing
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2BIT said:
I was just wondering...Do you run the AC in recirc all the time??

I usually run it in recirc except for the times when I turn on the defrosters and forget that it automatically goes to fresh. Oh and of course in the winter it's never on just the heat giving me that nice warm feeling :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have had it since day one. I have recently (within the last week) have tried to finally rid it. Put the A/C on fresh air and high and spray Lisol Disinfectant right in the fresh air ducts below the wipers. I have done this about once a day for the last week and it is working pretty good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ugh, yeah, I just started experiencing this problem last week...It just started getting warm here, so obviously I'm using my A/C. I thought it smelled a little funny, but there were just new wood chips put down and i thought that's what it was....now that I see this post, it makes me feel alot better, PLEASE let me know what the spray is, that smell is awful!

:pukeface:

·
Registered
40 Posts
yup, Lysol works. this is a very common problem.
1. buy a can of lysol spray
2. open the doors and windows and start the car
3. turn the A/C on high, fresh air (not recirculate)
4. as MCM said, from outside the car,spray the lysol directly into the air intake vent at the base of the windshield. use the entire can.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Man, when I read this thread, I thought "What are these guys talking about?" Then I drive a different car for a week, and when I get back in my Elantra, I notice it has some serious funk. I just Lysol'd the hell out of it now. This board is a lifesaver :)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yeah, an old fellow sitting outside my apartment who saw what I was doing was talking about how it's impossible to get the mold out of something like an A/C unit, because it's all around the coils and such.

I guess I'll just have to keep a can in the trunk or something. Maybe, since it's such a common problem, we could approach Hyundai USA, and if they don't listen, in true American style, go class action on them. (Like they need another class action lawsuit).

How did someone determine that it was definitely mold?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
uhm you can take the evaporator out, and drill a small hole in the bottom of it for the water to drain out of it.

Jeeps had the SAME exact problem and a TSB was realeased on them that the evaporator was holding too much water and it caused mold to form..

So, if you take out the evap, and drill a small 3/4" hole in the bottom of the case in the lowest point, clean everything really really good and get a new evaporator, you will never have this problem again.

lots of work i know, but its the only option for a REAL fix.

shawn :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
in conjunction with lysol do this, worked for my car

1. get vehicle to operating temps
2. park vehicle
2. crack windows slightly
3. turn on heater with fresh air setting
4. fan, highest setting
5. get out of car and shut door
6. spray lysol down air duct
7. empty can out and let car run w/ heater on about 5 minutes afterwards

Mold should've burned off

Gregster

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Yeah, I've been blasting hot fresh air through the A/C for the past day or two.

With all the febreeze and lysol I've sprayed in, my car blows really fresh smelling air now, but the cabin has some residual funk. As long as I can get it out before the cicadas come out around here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone checked if there is some kind of airfilter in the dash or behind it under the hood that is suppose to be changed. Often this is the case with a stinky car.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I have the airfilter behind my glovebox and while it does keep the dust down, it does nothing to the funk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts