Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearing completion on a fiberglass box that will be molded into the left side of my GT trunk but I need some help. I currently run a 12 in a ported box that works pretty good but takes up too much space, how do I determine what size speaker I should place in my sealed glass box?
I need to figure this out before I start laying the glass for the front of the box. I know that the calculation is related to the size of the box but that is not yet known. What are the benefits of a 10, of a 12?
ALSO: Anyone have experience w/ glass? This is my first project and I have learned a lot so far but I could use some experienced advice. The half made so far is made up of 5 layers of mat (6 16ths in thick), overkill? How many layers do you recommend? When I cut the edges off of my box I went through jigsaw blades like crazy, any suggestions on cutting cured glass?

:confused: You Got To Be Kidding !!! All the expertise in this form and I cant get 1 reply over a 3 day period Wehatsupwithdat?? Is my question too amateur for the audio heads? :bowdown: Please school me on all things subwoofer so maybe next time I can school someone else.

BB

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
ummm a 10" will be more punchy and a 12" will play a more varity of bass and hit those lower tones better than a 10"

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
if you go to www.crutchfield.com and look at the specs of any woofer they sell, it'll list the recommended box volume for that speaker.

There is a chart of all subs / cu. ft. volumes in their paper catalog, but I don't see it on their website.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Most subs will have specs for a "recommended" enclosure size for both sealed and ported designs and those specs can vary widely. So it would be hard to say what size sub you need. You just need to take a look at some subs out there and determine which is matched up best to the enclosure you're building.

If possible I'd suggest a 12" with a low requirement for enclosure volume, just because I think 12's are the best compromise between low-end capabilities and punchy bass like clarion was saying.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hopefully there will be a sub suitable for your requirements - Never in my history have i built a box first and then tried to find a sub to suit it as there is just TOO many variables to be considered

What size is the enclosure you have made?
How far have you gone with this new enclosure?
Would it be too late to change if neccassary?
What type of bass are you looking for - Pure outright SPL or sound quality?
What type of sub do you have at moment - Is this the one you are going to use

PS - You could of told me which post you needed help on when you pm'd me - took me 10 mins just to find it hehe :tongue:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Ive got a JL Audio W6 with a ported box and its huge. Infact i have to have it diagonal since my power wire wasnt long enough to put the amp on the seat so i placed it in the back left corner. It bumps really loud, my cousin has 2 w3s and it sounds the same and sometimes better as my 1 W6. We also use the same JL Audio 500watt amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts