Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I was recently given a Sony Xplod CD-Player(52wx4), and I'd like to go with some Sony Xplod speakers when I install it. I'm looking at the 5.25 inch Xplods for the front doors, and 2 of the 6x9s for the rear. All of them are 3-way speakers.

I'm just curious what you all have to say about the Sony Xplod setup. Decent stuff for the price? I'm not going to be using an Amp or anything...I just want better sound and a CD player in my car. Any help with this is greatly appritiated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
First off get 6 1/2's for your doors and skip the 5 1/4's altogether.

I wouldn't waste any money on Xplode speakers because they aren't very good. You'd be better served keeping the stock 6x9's and spending the extra money on a really good set of speakers up front.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I totally agree with dapert, Sony's car audio isnt quite as good as their home audio equipment. Defenetely worth it to get some nicer speakers and keep the 6x9's in the back. You dont have to match sony speakers with a sony head unit ;) its ok to mix and match.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
their speakers aren't up to the quality even of their mobile amps. For maybe 10-15 dollars more a set you can get something that will truely represent the music you listen to.

On sonys defense though, they make quality amps and some SOME of their car audio speakers have crazy RMS power ratings for the size and price of the speaker, so if SPL (loudness in decibels) is all you are looking for then it might be the way to go.

As you said you weren't going to add an amp my suggestion is go with infinity kappa 3 ways or infinity reference 2 ways, the sound reproduction is amazing and they aren't that much that you would have to save all month long.

just my .02

shawn :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sony has goin pretty downhill in their car equipment in the last five years or so. The last things that they made pretty well was the Sony ES line. Since then they have worked a lot more about the look of their product over the sound. Get 6 1/2's. That's what fits the door adn they sound better than 5 1/4's (louder and clearer). My advice is for about the same or probably less than you would pay for the sony's you can get some blaupunkt's of much better SQ(sound quality).

·
Registered
70 Posts
sony car audio blows, i'm not even joking.

get pioneer, kenwood, alpine, fosgate, or audiobahn. nothing else.

and i have 6 1/2 kenwoods in the front, 2 way 150 watt, and 6x9 pioneers, 3 way at 220 watt. they are awesome. along with a pioneer deck. and pioneer is the only brand of deck you should buy, nothing else...i kid you not.

·
no longer missing
64 Posts
Sony speakers sound too tin like. Go with some 3-way JBL's especially if your not gonna go with an amp. Their not to expensive and they sound great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pioneer as the only kind of deck?? What are you smoking. Pioneer top of the line decks can be good but their lower end stuff (350 and under is shit.) Any of the following brands are good for decks under 500.

DECKS

Blaupunkt (most of their line is good for the money)
Alpine (200 to 500 range) (under not so good)
Nakamichi (GREAT DECKS but are around 400-500) Nakamichi CD400
Eclipse (most of their line is good for the money

As for speakers the best for the money are

Blaupunkt
Eclipse
A/D/S
Nakamichi
High end Alpine
High end JBL
Orion

·
Buffalo's Finest
90 Posts
I've dealt with many different brands when it comes to car audio and I firmly believe that Alpine makes the best head units. They may not look the coolest, but the amp technology that they use is great. Their high end single DIN head unit CDA 9835 i believe is the model # uses 3 DACs which improves the sound reproduction. The v-drive amp is very high current and very powerful. Right now they only offer 2 headunits with that amp and they are the 9835($500) and the 9833($400) Expensive but well worth it. Since you already have a headunit, i'll move to speakers. If you don't intend on getting an amp, don't get a super high end pair of speakers. Generally speaking, the more expensive the speaker, the more power it requires to drive it. Infinity kappa and kappa perfects are very inefficient speakers so need a lot of power for example. Some speakers that will work well with your setup are Alpine Type-S 6.5" coax and 6"x9" JBL GTOs require a little more power than the alpines but not much so those are another good choice. Boston Acoustic speakers are nice as well but have a tendancy to be very bright and many people don't like that. The biggest mistake people make is underpowering their speakers. Even though your radio says 52x4 that is max. power and when it hits that, the internal amp will probably clip. Under normal circumstances, the radio will be outputting around 21-23 watts continuous. Those numbers are pretty reliable, but another thing to take into consideration is the THD(Total Harmonic Distortion) rating. Sony has EQ7 which is multiple eq setting pre-programed into the headunit. That increases bass/mid/trebble depending on which one you select. Any time the bass is boosted, that increases the THD which is bad. When speakers are being underpowered with a lot of distortion, that increases the chances for speakers to blow. Sorry about this being so long, i have a tendancy to be very long winded. I end this now before i make people mad. That is just my .02

Rich

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree on your post about Alpine making good equipment.

I had an older Alpine Head Unit in my old car (got sold with the car... grrr) for over 5 years, and haven't had a single problem with it, plus, the sound quality was great

·
Registered
732 Posts
My alpine (5 years old) went with my prelude. people tried to steel it 4 times and couldn't get it out, haha, but the 2nd time they stole just the face. WTF. But I got a new one from ebay and every thing was fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts