Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever gets this shifter, I had an idea from reading elantrick's install. Is it possible to raise the shifter assmebly with some shims. Maybe a 1/2 inch. This would allow for the adjustable shifter to be lengthened (below the fulcrum) and would shorten the throw even more. I think there is enough room under the console cover to raise the assembly.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
scott,

elantrick has already done this DIY. i think we're just waiting for mitch to post it on EGTclub. it took him two weeks to post the last DIY i gave him, he's been really busy with the stuff with jay. elantrick even sent me some spacers by mail and also emailed me a copy of his DIY that he gave to mitch to post. it focuses exclusively on lifting the shifter frame with spacers. it's a very nice DIY. i can forward you a copy by email if you like.

oh, and elantrick found that if he raised the frame more in the rear than in the front, it relieved the tension on the cable caused by the lengthened shaft below the fulcrum. i think his throw is down to 3". very, very nice....

·
-
471 Posts
I'm curious as to what he used for spacers. I don't actually need them with the TWM I installed, but I may want to raise the shifter up somewhat just to make it easier to reach. I've bought Nylon spacers at Home Depot in the past, so perhaps I'll try some of those. The stock shift frame bolts should accommodate the TWM spacers, plus 1/2" or so of other spacers.

·
-
471 Posts
After using the shifter for a while, I decided it was lower than I wanted. I installed 2, 3/8" thick x 1" diameter nylon spacers (from Home Depot) under each of the TWM spacers and installed longer bolts (50mm). The stick is now at a much more comfortable height in relation to the armrest (5 1/8"), the throws are just as short and I didn't have to modify the shifter frame.

BTW, adding the spacers does not improve the cable angle. The cables are attached to the front of the shifter frame, so the angle is strictly a function of the length of the lower leg of the shifter. In the case of the SR shifter, the farther down you screw it, the worse the angle will become and the more you have to trim off the shifter frame.

I now see the wisdom in TWM's decision to increase the lower leg as much as possible without having to modify the shifter frame, then decrease the throw further by shortening the upper leg as much as feasible. I do think that they should include (or at least offer) taller spacers and longer bolts. I'll email them and suggest it.

I tried to post a pic, but there seems to be a problem, so here's a link:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts