Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I finished my SRI today with one of those little plastic tube form Autozone and some Silicone Couplers. The tube doesn't have the air port on it for the vacuum line. I was wondering if I could splice it into my PCV line or what I should do. I haven't really seen this discussed before because usually they come with the nipple. Thanks BOB

·
Rotary Freak
420 Posts
If your needing a vacuum source than hooking up to the intake tube is not the right choice since you will get no beneficial vacuum.

If you just need to get a fresh air source to a specific valve than you can use a threaded barbed fitting and drill a hole in the plasitc tube and thread the fitting into it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I was trying to get around that. Leaving it out in the open would be a nono right. I dont get what this does. Thanks BOB

·
Rotary Freak
420 Posts
Leaving it out in the open would be a nono right. I dont get what this does
Are we talking about leaving the hose in question right out in the open? If so than yes this would be a no no IF the air supply from that specific hose enters the intake stream of the engine. This could throw off the AFR. Similar to a vacuum leak. You would be getting unmetered air into the engine. Also it would be unfiltered but that is a simple ugly fix with a breather.

I suppose if the ECU is using speed density it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I don't know what else besides the MAF our cars, or mine (2005 GT), use.

Remember I don't even know what "hose" we are talking about or what it connects too so my posts will be very vague as too the exact answer your looking for.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts

Thanks Bob for the pic of your engine bay :D I believe the hose in question is the one near the throttle body pointing down. I think it's part of the PCV system but I've never actually looked at it. I know if you have a stock intake, it's a little harder to see, but it's probably there. XD2's have em too....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Ok Its the Line that connects to the snorkel tube on the intake. It is located right next to the PCV on the head of the motor. Cbogg in that last pic its that bright blue line. I have an 03 XD. I had a CEL only because I forgot to plug the sensor in but sos far so good. BOB

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
That bottom pic is my engine bay!!! :)
That hose is for venting blow-by vapors back into the intake...
for emissions purposes, you should try to install a hose barb into the plastic tube- you can get some cheap brass threaded ones for plumbing, drill a hose slightly smaller than the threading and slowly thread it in, would work fine with the spectre plastic intake tubes.
Worse-comes-to-worse and you can't install a hose barb, you can vent the vapors out the hose through a breather filter... they're those little tiny cone filters with a little hose barb on the end, autozone should have them too. It's bad for emissions, though.
You don't want the hose to sit open, and I don't *think* you should splice it into the main PCV line.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
why dont u just buy a real sri off ebay, for like 15 bucks... or better yet, i can sell u my pipe...

i have this available for sale.

pipe only, ill sell it to u to like 10 bucks + shipping.

it has the lil nipple so u can just slide that lil rubber hose right onto it, all u need is a filter and the couplers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
yeh i would suggest buying a real intake instead of making one. there not that costly and probably less frustrating and less things going wrong with it. i mean its cool your trying to be creative but the real thing in this case would be my suggestion for optimal performance =)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im all set I will have to drill it I guess. I can get barbs for cheap. I will have to shave the threads to keep everything on the inside smooth. I will eventually get a "CAI". Were is your sensor on that SRI Pete. BOB

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I figured. BOB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts