Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I really need help with this car it will not start unless the camshaft position sensor in unplugged. (no spark) This is a Beta engine with VVT

A little history first,I've been working on this car for over a month now and am getting frustrated to say the least...

Went and got her off the side of the interstate it ran hot, got it home diganosed it with a blown head gasket, removed the head sent it off to get checked. Replaced radiator, thermostat, checked deck of the block it was ok, head checked out fine, changed one burnt exhaust valve, checked and adjusted clearances on the rest and reassembled the engine.

No start... A couple hours of head scratching and figured out the machine shop put the intake cam in 180 degrees out. Removed it timed it according to a Haynes book by link count (mistake) and reassembled. Fired right off but ran bad and threw a P0341 & P0507. Found the Hyundia service website, realized we did it wrong took the intake cam out timed it again to the marks on the chain and reassembled. We were one link off.

No start again....:mad: We weren't getting any spark now. On a hunch I unplugged the CPS and it fired off. :confused:

The P0341 went away but the P0507 persisted, this is also where we found out it wouldn't start unless the camshaft position sensor was unplugged. It will throw a P0340 when we start it because it's unplugged but will go away and continue to run when plugged back in.

Followed the T/S for the P0507, finally taking the IAC off de-carboning it and putting it back on cleared the P0507 code and brought the idle back to 700RPM & smoothed it back out.

My only problem left now is this issue with the CPS. It will NOT start unless it is unplugged. It throws no more DTC's... I can unplug it, start the car and it runs fine whether it is connected or not. :confused::confused::confused: I have replaced it and no change between the old and new.

I'm really at a loss here as to why we get no spark/no start when the CPS is plugged in but will fire right off and run just as smooth when disconnected.

ANY help with this is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
BUMP

I had a crankshaft positioning sensor go bad and it sounded similar to your problem.

But I didn't unplug anything, one day it just stopped starting after I had this problem for a few days. The hyundai dealership smashed it on accident and didn't tell me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did mess up and smash the connector right off the OCV... That was an expensive mistake.

This is just baffling me. I don't have the right tools needed either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts