Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm generally happy with the handling of my xd. But I'd like to go to a slightly wider tire - probably 205's. How do 16 inch 50 205's compare with stock 15 inch? Anyone out there make this swap?

- Woody

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right...let me clarify...I would like to go wider either way. I would also like to fill out the wheel wells a bit. (I know lowering springs are an option too - but I wanted to look at wheels first.) I know if you go way big with wheels, then weight of the larger tires/wheels becomes an issues, next thing you know you have to upgrade the brakes - you also start to loose acceleration if you add too much wheel/tire weight. So this is the reason I don't want to go bigger than 16 inch wheels. (Although I know many run 17 inch.) So my objectives are to 1) go slightly wider (either 15 inch or 16 inch), and also 2) fill out my wheel wells, without throwing the speedo too far off, and adding too much weight. Performance is most important, so if I will add .5 seconds to my 0-60 times by going to a larger wheel/tire (more rotating weight) I will probably pass, and just order 15 inch 205 x 50's (?) to fit my stock wheels.

Suggestions?

- Woody

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I'd get 16x6.5's or 16x7" wheels and either 205/50 or 215/50 tires. 215/50-16 tires would certainly fill the wheel wells nicely if that's what you're going for, and you shouldn't have any rubbing problems with that size. That would be a nice balance between cost, looks, ride, handling, and weight. Also, you can get away with lighter wheels with a 16" than a 17" without worrying about potholes so much.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
i have 16x7 inch rims and 205 45 16 - wrong size tire / the perfect size tire for 16 is 205 50 16 my car rides pretty nice with 45 but the speedomter is way off and it looks like im not even dropped lol

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
i thought for 17 the correct tire is 215 45?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
As found in the archive home page, the correct size tires are:

15” wheels - 195/60/15
16” wheels - 205/50/16
17” wheels - 205/45/17
18” wheels - 215/35/18

you can also use this page to see how much your speedometer will be off with any given tire size: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
lol 18 inch come on, i gota see that, i think that would look funny on our car

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
04GTboyVA said:
i thought for 17 the correct tire is 215 45?
It is. :D J/K, 215/45 is a little oversized but they still work. Just use that Miata tire calculator to help.

If you're going for looks, it's best to use slightly oversized tires to fill out the wheel wells.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Yeah, there are several members here with 18's. One with 19's... although I haven't seen him post in a long time.

But when it comes to recommendations, I just can't recommend the stock wheels and feel good about it, haha. Wider, lower profile tires with nice looking plus-sized alloy wheels transform the car in more ways than one. :)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
so what size do u recommend for mine mr smart person? i have a gigantic wheel gap right now :( it looks like my car isnt lowerd

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Tough choice... 205/50-16 would be fine and you'd never have to worry about rubbing. 215/50-16 would look better but you'd have a small chance of rubbing with the hatchback. But if you do have a rubbing problem, there's usually a way around it. It's your call. It also depends on your wheel offset... with a 7" wide wheel, a +42mm offset is going to be ideal.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
its cause he has a white car duh lol jk ya i'll prob go with 215 50 thats what vabeach kid had on his but had a sticky tire since he auto crossed i dunno
i just want to have less gap

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
^the perfect size for 17's i thought so

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.