Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just dyno'd a local Bone stock 05 Kia Spectra before and after a Supercharger install. I was really pleased with the install and how much the supercharger woke up the Spectra. It can now hang with a Tiburon V6. Due to the Altitude here in Colorado max boost was between 6-6.5psi. The stock engine dyno'd at 102WHP and with the only mod being the Supercharger we got 155WHP!!. That a 53WHP improvement on a 100% bone stock drivetrain. This means the super restrictive intake and exhaust system was left in place. This was also with a supersafe 11.5:1 Air fuel ratio. Even more power will be had when the customer upgrades his exhaust and intake system. The Unichip will automatically account for the mods and he should see up to 180whp on the stock pulley. With the addition of a 10psi pulley 200whp is certainly possible.
Any way enough rambling here's the after dyno. Notice on the top end the power dips a little. This is due to the restrictive intake system on the Spectra.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
auto or not?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5sp manual. And believe me I'll keep everyone updated. That's by far one fast Spectra. Oh and on a sidenote the dyno we were on read a little low compared to other dynos out there. I've seen stock BetaIIs dyno at around 115-118whp. Add 53 to that and you've got 168-171whp on a 100% stock drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
get I/H/E on that thing with the 10psi pulley! i wanna see

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The design on the manifold was changed about a year ago. Other than that nothing has changed except we now have the ability to offer smaller pullies. What bad results are you speaking of? One thing you have to remember guys is that Supercharger power is instant-on not like turbo power which takes a bit to kick in. There is no lag with a supercharger.
Also due to difference between how a supercharger and turbo charger creates boost its near impossible to get the same amount of power out of a supercharger kit. Supercahrgers are typically used to improve day to day driveability and over all power output. Superchargers will create power throughout the RPM band whereas a turbocharger will tend to be more about max power at higher RPMs. Its called power under the curve. Its what makes the 2.0L feel like a Normally Aspirated V6.
It really depends on what you want out of your car as to which way you go. For the road racer a supercharger would be my recommendation. It gives you instant on power with a nice big fat torque curve for powering out of the apexes. If your a drag racer I'd recommend a turbo because it will give you a nice big peak HP number that will get you low E.T.s and high trap speeds. If your me you go both... ;)

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
I don't care how you look at it, a 50% increase in power is a great add-on.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't want to post a dyno till I've got the thing fully tuned. The local dyno has been booked for weeks but I did get in for about 45 min this past Sat. I ran out of tuning time but did manage to get over 250whp on 14-15psi before my boost controller failed. Trust me guys my car flys. Once I get a new boost controller, or if Matt brings me my old one ;) I can raise the boost to 20 like I want..

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
the s/c? you should know that our bays don't have enough room in them for an aftercooler.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
^^ Actually it COULD be incorporated into the intake much like the roush supercharger is setup. But that would take a lot of R&D to get it to fit.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
BobMs_wht2k2 said:
^^ Actually it COULD be incorporated into the intake much like the roush supercharger is setup. But that would take a lot of R&D to get it to fit.
true but its not really worth it to alpine to do that because barely anyone buys the s/c kit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
dmdicks said:
One thing you have to remember guys is that Supercharger power is instant-on not like turbo power which takes a bit to kick in. There is no lag with a supercharger.
just want to add since thats not quite correct, a properly sized turbo for the aplication can have zero noticeable turbo lag, there are turbos out there that hit full spool by 2300 rpm's. the only cars that have a noticeable lag to them are ones with turbos not properly sized for the engine itself. or going for all top end power. read up on any of the IHI rhb5 series turbo's and you will see what i mean.

also, with a supercharger, it takes up to 30% of the power from the motor just to power the supercharger. the drivetrain loss is insane. but with a turbo system, its recycling wasted gas, but it also cre-ates massive amounts of heat which is the #1 enemy of HP. both are great set ups, but both have very large negative points.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts