Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,635 Posts
to add a little more... THERE IS LAG WITH A S/C since its dependent on the rpms of the motor to make boost there just isn't a lag when you shift gears since you don't haev to build it up again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
but if the super charger is spinning when you are idling and making more power from the start wouldnt the lag be gone from there... I could be wrong... I just found out we have the Kia in Australia it is called the Cerato though... Wonder if it has the Beta 2 engine... does anyone know if it has the Beta 2 with CVVT or just the normal Beta 2 over in the states
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cypher said:
to add a little more... THERE IS LAG WITH A S/C since its dependent on the rpms of the motor to make boost there just isn't a lag when you shift gears since you don't haev to build it up again.
This isn't 100% correct. A supercharger's rotors are always spinning ready to make boost. As soon as you step on the gas the super's bypass valve closes and boost is created. Since the rotors were already spinning any "lag" you may feel is just the time it takes the bypass valve to close. I make 5psi at 1500 RPM with my setup and its just the S/C making that boost because at 1500 RPM there isn't enough exhaust energy to spool the BAT (Big Arse Turbo) fast enough for boost.
It all comes down to the fundemental differences between turbochargers and superchargers. I will be building a whole section on Alpine's website soon that will cover all these differences and what to expect out of each setup.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,635 Posts
that is still some lag as little as it may be ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,635 Posts
yes on our motors with this s/c there isn't much lag that is true. i was speaking in general terms. such as the MP90 on the tib would have lag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I know where your coming from, but your terms may throw people off. Its not lag you would be feeling with a MP90 on a 2.0L. The MP90 has ginormous Rotors that require a lot of energy to turn. What you would be feeling is the parasitic loss of the power required to turn the larger rotors. So say your car is making 110whp stock and it takes 40whp to turn the MP90. Your car would feel like it had 70whp until the rotors generate enough power to overcome the parasitic loss. So lets say at 4k rpm your generating 8psi boost with the MP90. 8psi would be around 80whp for a total power output of 110+80=190whp. Forgot one thing. The parasitic drag of the supercharger is 40whp so actual power output would be 150whp. Make sense?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,635 Posts
yeah thats a hell of a better way to describe it lol i knew what i was trying to say i just couldn't describe it well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm trying to get him to do a few runs at the track. Problem is that he works a lot during the week and test and tune nights are wed nights. With the end of the season rapidly approaching I don't think it will happen this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
quick qestion for a guy in californa. if i had a bone stock elantra no intake just a exhaust. would i be able to pass smog. because lately these damn kids are just messing things up for us. cause of street racing the are starting to profile people. i would love a SC but if i get stopped and i get my car impounded it would not be worth it. And trust me they have done that in californa already where i live if your car has modification that are not suppose to be street legal they will impound your vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
dmdicks said:
This isn't 100% correct. A supercharger's rotors are always spinning ready to make boost. As soon as you step on the gas the super's bypass valve closes and boost is created. Since the rotors were already spinning any "lag" you may feel is just the time it takes the bypass valve to close. I make 5psi at 1500 RPM with my setup and its just the S/C making that boost because at 1500 RPM there isn't enough exhaust energy to spool the BAT (Big Arse Turbo) fast enough for boost.
It all comes down to the fundemental differences between turbochargers and superchargers. I will be building a whole section on Alpine's website soon that will cover all these differences and what to expect out of each setup.
Depends what car your driving....

I have a Stage 1 PCM, flat shift into 2nd, It STAYS at 15-16psi. Flat shift into 3rd or 4th and I get 16-17psi.

Even if I shift after the boost drops due the PCM's control over the wastegate, I still goes back to max boost allowed by the PCM.

I say release an intercooler supercharger system with excellent off-idle power and very good top end power that compares with small turbo system and alot of this "talk" would be pointless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Blastation said:
quick qestion for a guy in californa. if i had a bone stock elantra no intake just a exhaust. would i be able to pass smog. because lately these damn kids are just messing things up for us. cause of street racing the are starting to profile people. i would love a SC but if i get stopped and i get my car impounded it would not be worth it. And trust me they have done that in californa already where i live if your car has modification that are not suppose to be street legal they will impound your vehicle.
Right now the 2.0L Kits are not CARB certified. They will pass a smog test but may not pass a visual inspection.
 
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Top