Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now I really screwed this up, I tried to fix some rock chips in my hood and fenders and my paint is all screwed up. I used a DIY from Mothers car wax site and did the steps, fiberglass pen, touch up pen, wait for paint to dry, use 1500 grit wet sand paper, then use 2000 grit to make it glossy. Well, I have a whole bunch of areas that are lighter around the area that was painted, I thought maybe I didn't sand it properly so I revisited this one chip with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and ended up sanding down to the primer :mad: A few of them did turn out the way I expected, but I must have had about 50 chips in my hood and now it looks bad. I did manage to use the Mothers Stage 2 scratch fix wax and it doesn't look as bad as it did, but then again it was in my garage after midnight so I'll have to wait till morning to see how fugly it really is....

Any one have any tips that I could use to get on the right track? I may just take it to a shop to have them fix it up but if anyone knows of something that may help. Please let me know.

I think I may call some DuPont Performance Paint employees that I know in the area to see what they say.

And finally, Yes I feel really stupid at this point :hand:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Unless you know what you are doing - never use sandpaper. Just try to touch up the chip with the paint and the clear and that's it. You will almost never get perfect results without getting out the big machinery that body shops use.

Umm, how to rescue your situation....I dunno - the best I can think of is swirl and scratch remover for the haze you have created (the lighter patches you sanded down) and tonnes of wax on top.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
first of all i dont know if its just me or what but you were supposed to "wet sand" the chip not use "wet sand paper" i dont know if that was a bad salesman at the hardware store who just told you thats what it was called to get you to buy it or what but just to be on the safe side . . and for the record . . there is no such thing as wet sand paper that you can buy. secondly . . .just a reminder . . when you wax you are sealing . . in other words whatever is on or in your paint now will be there for a while if not for good after you wax it in. thats why you are told to thoroughly wash your car before applying a wax . . for the places you sanded down to the primer . . sounds like the best thing to do would be to get it painted . . you dont really want to have just cheap touch up paint from a 5 dollar 2 ounce bottle over just primer. if its small it might look fine for a while but overall the intregrity of the paint job is compromised. if it is a large area then obviously you can not cover a bullet wound with a band aid if you know what i mean. finally, when repairing a chip you CAN try to do it yourself and you WILL need sandpaper but if you arent comfortable doing relatively major repairwork(relatively major because you are not a body shop) such as a fiberglass patch or WETSANDING for that matter . . you probably shouldnt try it. as you will probably find out it will end up costing you more than you wanted to spend anyway. cause now you probably need to take it to a shop and get it painted. my advice . . . don't go for the cheap deal . . . make sure they match the exact color and layers that your car has . . such as clear coat or whatever . . . im not sure what they are . . shop around too make sure they all quote you for the same quality of work i.e. not just wiping it with a rag and spraypainting it but prepping it and sanding it and priming it and all that) and just choose the most economic . . remember you get what you pay for. i hope this helps . . good luck and remember . . if you arent sure . . . ill let you finish that one

·
Registered
15 Posts
wet sanding requires lots water so paint will sand lightly. as far as the paint color difference, you need to wheel-out(high speed buff) the area you wetsanded, do not use a wheel if you do not know how to use. you will burn paint down to bare metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts