Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all, and a happy, healthy New Year.

On a long round-trip drive between Arlington, VA and northeastern CT my radio went on by itself without my trying to turn it on.

Meanwhile, two days after returning, I found the battery dead as a doornail when I sent the signal with the fob to unlock the doors. I hadn't left any lights on or doors ajar, and am wondering what might have happened. I had a jump start and the car started the following day, but I'm back to the same problem two days later.

I've also noticed that the cigarette lighter isn't providing electricity.

These may all be separate problems; I was thinking the lighter is probably a fuse (under the steering wheel?). The radio isn't set to work when the car is off, so I don't really know how it could be draining the battery. The car was starting without problems in much colder temperatures than I'm facing here, so any light someone might shed on the subject would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
Is it an OEM radio or aftermarket? Its def electrical, so if it is OEM, take it to the dealer, if it is an aftermarket radio, check the wiring in the back, it may be a short or miswiring.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
You have 3 separate problems, that may or may not be related.

1) If your battery is dying after 2 days, you may have an alternator issue. It sounds like the alternator isn't recharging the battery, and you are running all electrical functions on the battery, without a recharge.

2) If it's an OEM radio, can't help you. The dealer may be able to do something under warranty, but looking at the year of your car, it's likely you may have over 100K miles, and that means you have no warranty. If it's an aftermarket radio, it's likely a wiring issue, or fuse related.

3) Cigarette lighter not working? Do you mean the actual lighter, or the receptacle, as in it won't power a phone charger? You'll need to be clear on this part.

Fuses are located, not under the steering wheel, but to the left of the steering wheel behind the "coin pocket" on the dash.

·
Your Voice of Reason!
593 Posts
Too funny...My 05gls (factory radio) did the very same thing from time to time.
It was possessed or something.
Never killed the battery but the radio would come on by itself when i would 1st start the car up every now and then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts