Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Korean friend that goes back to Seoul a couple times a year to visit family. I went by and showed him my new turbo manifold and he gave me some interesting information ...

Seems the street tuners are taking the crank from, he thinks, the 2. 4L engine that is in the Sonata and has a 3.94"/100.08mm stroke .... compared to the 3.68"/93.5mm that the Beta II has. This ups the displacement to 2.1 or 2114cc.
Anyone here of this? He said the reason was that there starting to use Nitrous alot ... something that was never used much before ...

Also news ... the newer 5spd transmissions, like you get from a warranty replacement, have hardened gears and spiders, along with stronger syncros. The case has also been modified to be more rigid ...

Don't know if any of this is true ... anybody know? The idea of a stroker kit is pretty cool. I'll ask him if he can find out what rods there using ...

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
I would think that the 1.8 rods would be used since they are shorter. I've heard of both of these but never seen anyone actually do it.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I'm sure you could do something, but all that work for .1 extra liter of displacement? C'mon. It's not like taking a 350 and getting going out to 400ci. How much power do you think you'll really get out of that 3 tablespoons extra air you can get in? I guess if you've maxed your car out and have nothing left to do at all, then yeah, probaby. Esp. in Korea those people are crazy, it must be like adding an extra 2" to your dick or something.

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
I don't think they did it for displacement, but rod length ... the rod to stroke ratio can make a difference ... shorter rods mean more torque and at a lower RPM ...
wow I'm not even gonna say it.

More torque Woooooooot!

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts
It's not like taking a 350 and getting going out to 400ci.
I'm no engine guru, but I believe the 350 is a small block and I think it can only be bored up to something like a 383. 400 is in the big block range. ??

Having never torn a beta II apart, I cant say how much it could be bored and if increasing the stroke would be worth much effort. If your going to that much trouble you should re-do the head with bigger valves and all that. (if possible)

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A SBC can be just as big as any BBC ... BBCs make bigger power because they have bigger heads, with the matching ports, and are able to accommodate more power.

anyway ...take two engines ... no matter what mfg, and have one with a much smaller rod length then the other, and you will see a different type of power band.

I think they did it to get back the lost power from having a lower RPM limit ... put the power in a more usable area instead of having it look like a light switch flipping on ... but thats just my opinion, there maybe more involved.

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
If you can get the 100mm crank out of a 99-02 sonata and put it in a beta block you will get a 2.1L and with some boring you can achieve 2.2L. you can get 2.3 but you will need to sleeve the block for the extra bore. I was working on it but never finished. Might pick it back up in the off season.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I'm no engine guru, but I believe the 350 is a small block and I think it can only be bored up to something like a 383. 400 is in the big block range. ??

Having never torn a beta II apart, I cant say how much it could be bored and if increasing the stroke would be worth much effort. If your going to that much trouble you should re-do the head with bigger valves and all that. (if possible)

You can't bore the beta too much because there not much area you can do this safely. The 2.4 crank has to be modified since that uses balance shafts, and there are pulleys for the balance shaft belts. The 2.4 crank would have to be balanced enough so make it run right with the balance shaft pulley assembly removed. The crank snout where the oil pump may have to be modified to fit the beta oil pump. Doable if you know how to.

·
1,030 Posts
The SBC came in 289, 327, 350 and 400 CID. The BB came in 396, 400, 427 and 454 (and the 502 and 572). People use the 400 crank, stock 350 pistons and rods to create a 383 stroker. Actually, on the 427 BB, Chevy used the 454 bottom end and 396 heads to make a mean motor.

You can't bore the beta too much because there not much area you can do this safely. The 2.4 crank has to be modified since that uses balance shafts, and there are pulleys for the balance shaft belts. The 2.4 crank would have to be balanced enough so make it run right with the balance shaft pulley assembly removed. The crank snout where the oil pump may have to be modified to fit the beta oil pump. Doable if you know how to.
on topic ... I would'nt bore the engine, just go for the shorter rods ... torque is power ...

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
this thread isn't about sbcs!

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
yes the newer 06 manual transmissions are a little bit stronger...they have tripe cone syncros rather then the xd that has double or even the rc/rd that has a single cone.

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
A .1 increase in engine displacement won't make a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It won't be big, but if you really want to have the Elantra from hell you will find a way to make it happen.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
yes the newer 06 manual transmissions are a little bit stronger...they have tripe cone syncros rather then the xd that has double or even the rc/rd that has a single cone.
Greg's Spectra 5 is an 06. I think that already would have the triple cone syncro's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts