Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out a way to make your sunroof one-touch close just like how it is one touch open? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
southpawboston was really good at electrical stuff....i haven't seen him on here lately, not sure if he permanently left or not

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Since the speed at which the windows/sunroofs open varies (for example, my passenger side front window takes 2 or 3 seconds more to close than the driver's side front window), a timed relay probably isn't a good idea. Feeding power to a motor that can't turn (even for a few seconds at a time) will eventually burn it up. Also, there's a safety concern -- what if someone's hand or arm is in the opening when the sunroof is triggered to close?

Here's how the factory automatic windows work:
When you push the switch to automatically open the driver's side window (or the sunroof in the new models) you're triggering a latching relay to continuously feed power to the sunroof or window motor until another event occurs. When the window or sunroof reaches some position inside the frame, either there's a microswitch that gets pushed or there's a sensor on the amperage draw of the motor (the power draw goes up when the motor can't turn) that de-energizes the latching relay. That opens the latching relay and stops feeding power to the motor.

Ways to change the sunroof:
Amperage draw sensor: I'm not sure whether Hyundai used microswitches or amperage-draw monitoring for the windows and sunroof, but the amperage-draw sensor would be the most elegant solution. However it would be very difficult to implement as an individual aftermarket add-on.

A microswitch/relay system would be relatively simple to build, but there are some major issues with it. You see, with opening the sunroof (or the windows), there's "slop" where the sunroof slides back into the roof -- once it's clear of the opening, it doesn't need to be sealed against anything when open, so a microswitch could be mounted as the stopping point of the travel.

The problems with using a microswitch to monitor the closing of a sunroof (or window) is that:

• If the switch is mounted too far in, the sunroof wouldn't fully close.
  • If it's mounted too far out, the motor will continue to run, burning it out eventually.
  • If something blocks it's travel, it will continue trying to close and trap whatever is in the opening.

Those are some of the reasons that relatively few cars with power windows(Nissan Maxima is one exception) have auto-closing windows / sunroofs. Some do but I believe that the law requires that they have to incorporate the automatic stop if something gets in the way of the window travel (yet another circuit and more $).

Reference:
I believe the Dodge minivans have auto-closing sunroofs, but I'll bet that they use amperage monitoring to shut them off and also include the emergency stop feature to keep from trapping things in the roof. It may be worth checking out the circuitry of a vehicle with an auto closing window to see how it's properly implemented. You could also take a look at the driver's side window circuit to see if there are any sensors at the bottom of the window travel for reference.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
XTRAWLD said:
southpawboston was really good at electrical stuff....i haven't seen him on here lately, not sure if he permanently left or not

He is a mod at Elantragtclub with his own electrical section and tons of information there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I haven't seen any electrial stuff over at elantragtclub. do you have a link?

Found the electrical, but nothing about auto closing.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
jameswing said:
I haven't seen any electrial stuff over at elantragtclub. do you have a link?

Found the electrical, but nothing about auto closing.
You can ask South if it's possible and he's very helpfull.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
silet said:
He is a mod at Elantragtclub with his own electrical section and tons of information there.
haven't left, just quieted down a bit on both sites with a lot of other stuff going on.

kylemorg gives a good description of how these things work and why there are certain limitations. the XD's auto-down window feature uses the amperage-sensing method, also known as a limit-switch. this is the same method that the window roll-up and roll-down modules use that kylemorg provided a link for.

some guy on ebay was selling these supposed pre-wired for hyundais. aparrently it is a korean aftermarket module that plugs right in to the power sunroof harness. one member at EGT bought one ($40) but couldn't figure out how to install it, and the instructions were in korean. somehting about one of the harness plugs not matching up. anyway, until someone designs a limit-switch for our sunroof, maybe by modifying a window roll-up module, there is no alternative. i'd try myself, but i don't have a sunroof. :(

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
krnsmartguy said:
the sunroof is one touch open?? i never knew that
I guess the '04 XD (and maybe on the '03?) are one-touch open. Mine on my '02 GT isn't. It's not like it's a big issue to hold the switch for two seconds, though.

I would like it if all four windows were one-touch open, though. I had a Ford Mondeo (the new 2003 UK version of the US Ford Contour that was discontinued) as a rental when I went to England in the summer of 2003, and all four windows were one-touch open. That was nice; hit the buttons and forget it -- I didn't have to watch the rear windows to see when they were all the way down!

·
Registered
429 Posts
on my 03 gt(late 03) its not 1 touch. and i agree i would love tohave all 4 windows 1 touch down. or at least the front ones

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if an 04 owner can confirm the one touch open/close option. It'll be far easier swapping the part into our cars than making up a whole new thing don't you think?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is only one touch open from the factory. I am trying to add one touch close to it. Been really busy and haven't had time to try, but I think I have it worked out based on the schematic. Also, the device that I am using for the sunroof one touch close can also be used for window one touch open and one touch close. Pretty cool huh?

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Yeah, that's the cool thing about limit switches; since they sense a spike in the amperage draw of the motor, they'll work to stop motion for any direction of travel on a sliding surface. Theoretically, the limit switch circuit for the opening cycle of the '04 XD could be put on the closing circuit.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Make sure you take pictures while doing it. then get us a DIY.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts