Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
YAY! I finally installed my Progress adjustable sway bar. I went with the stiffer 22mm setting. I bought it used and there is one thing that scares me... The guy's strut tab was broken off and still between the bolt and the endlink. This concerns me. I am wondering if the 20mm setting would be safer.
I tried to upload photos in my EXD photo section so that I could post them but I keep getting "fatal errors".
The difference is amazing. I never believed that it would make such a noticable difference.

edit:
Finally got the pics to post as attachments. Yes the first endlink is bent. I bent it back into shape with a light tap of a hammer. the third shot is a pic of the previous owners strut tab that was still stuck between the bolt and the endlink

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
It's overkill for the stock struts.

You need to get upgraded struts if you want to go above 19, or your tabs will snap off.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
i understand how the difference could be great from a 12/13 and a 19mm. but what could the extra 22mm thick bar do that the 19 cant?? besides... too thick can be worse. ur rear end will be alot more prone to swinging and sliding out now. so be careful.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it was so bad...why do they make it. Don't forget. they made it to replace the 19mm tib bar...cause of understeer (spelling?). Progress recomends the 20mm for the 4 cyl and the 22mm for the V6. Thats what I read in SCC. If it was bad, there wouldn't be a market for it.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
thats incorrect. just because its bad... doesnt mean they wouldnt make it, and you misunderstand what i say. i said its overkill for OUR car, the ELANTRA! the tiburon is a totally different car, even tho we share the same engine. also, some parts r for off road use only, such as track only or whatever, where a person may need THAT thick of a bar, but i guarantee you, our elantras DONT need anything more than a 19. im not trying to tell u its bad or to get rid of it... im just saying its slight overkill, but thats just me.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
don't get me wrong either. I'm just defending my opinion as well. No hard feelings or anything. I have driven it. It rocks. My rear end doesn't swing out no matter how hard I drive it. And it may very well break my tabs, which I have stated that I am prepared for that. All I'm saying is that it has been a positive experience for me 100%. I respect your opinion I just don't agree

oh and byt the way...we share more than the same motor. a lot more

·
chef 4 life
5,781 Posts
Are you in a sedan or hatch? The 22 has been used in many hatch Elantra's with no trouble at all. It has been stated that it may cause oversteer in the sedan but firmed up the hatch right to where it needs to be.

As for the difference between 19 and 20mm, come on! You going to tell me 1mm difference is overkill Pete? Your GLS had a 13mm bar, my GT had a 14mm bar. Did that make my stock bar overkill, lol?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Are you in a sedan or hatch? The 22 has been used in many hatch Elantra's with no trouble at all. It has been stated that it may cause oversteer in the sedan but firmed up the hatch right to where it needs to be.

As for the difference between 19 and 20mm, come on! You going to tell me 1mm difference is overkill Pete? Your GLS had a 13mm bar, my GT had a 14mm bar. Did that make my stock bar overkill, lol?
Yeah Bryan, it was overkill. You're a menace to all those around you, and you should be locked away. Shame on you, out there promoting 14mm bars to innocent children! In any event, you have to remember, the tib is actually a heavier car, so a 22mm bar would have less potential for negative effect than on a much lighter car, like the elantras.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

hatch.

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts
a while back somebody posted a diy for welding on a reinforcement tab. but if you don't go nuts driving all crazy you should be ok until you replace those struts. But definately go with the tibby struts when you upgrade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.