Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i've heard at least one person talk about putting a vinyl sticker or something over the tail light to reshape it a bit. I was toying with photoshop (again) just to see what i could come up with. Here is a ROUGH chop of a 2 second design, but what i want to know is what you think, also make one yourself and share! It's easy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
a little info....

it would look 100 times better if u either A. painted your tails with stock paint with ur design. or B. buy another set of tails and do what i said in A.

vinyl will never match ur paint and will look funny!
if u actually painted the tails with a design like that i think it would look awesome!
we dont have molding around our lights and they sit flush against the body panels...if they were painted to match ur paint it would give the illusion that there were custom taillights in the car!

i think someone needs to try this and take pics!

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
I thought of buying a tail off ebay to practice this type of mod on, i'll see if I can get my hands on a tail and make a design.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking of using the clear tail light covers from dreamka4u to practice on, paint however you want and then slap it over your tail lights. What would be the process of painting the lights? Where and what type of paint should i use? I have a nordic white GLS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
www.paintscratch.com is your best bet, kinda pricey but its just what u need

mask off where u want the tail light to show through

also. quick sand with 2000 grit to rough up the existing clear coat, probably no need to prime, 3 thin coats, then clear the whole taillight

turn on your lights at night and see which spots are brightest and which are more dim. paint the dimmer spots and leave as much of the well lit area unpainted as possible.

hope that helps

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
working it, i am going to do this though, paint the covers :) i'll work on some designs. i'm sure i'll have some today :)

oh and i won't settle for anything unprofessional looking, if i do it, it's going to be perfect or i won't roll it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the more i look at this the more i like it... i know someone else has thought about doing the exact same thing and following that contour line down the side... it's simple, looks good, and would be very easy to do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
that red elantra doesn't look like it was painted though, looks like body and light work were done custom. any chance you have a bigger picture?

edit: shit i'm stupid, it IS an accent... some shapely differences though, and the tail lights are shaped a bit different. pretty close to what it would look like though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i already tried it.....if anyone want a passenger side 04 taillight to try anything on im selling it for 40 dollars!

youlll never retrofit it.
if your good...you can remove ur stock lense and heat up the 04 lense and try molding it to the 03 lights!!!

thats the easies thing to do!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts