Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know all you XD owners with five speeds have noticed the annoying RPM-"hang" after a shift, and have possibly heard of a fix, like removing a spring from a solenoid, is this the best way and who else has done it? Does it void any warranty?

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I did the Slave Cylinder Mod. The only thing it does is increase the amount of clutch fluid flow. In other words, it makes your clutch grab better/harder/faster. Don't get me wrong, it's not even close to having a Stage 3 Clutch, but it does get rid of the feeling like your clutch is slipping.

The problem you're talking about has nothing to do with this valve, though. I think it's caused by the ECU. Not sure how to fix it, but it doesn't bother me anyway.

Axel

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Some people that have had the ecu reflash to take care of the 3800-4500 rpm lag have noticed an inprovment in the rpm hang issue.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
RPM hang is a part of the emissions package in the ECU. If you care to try shifting out of first into second at 4000 instead of 2500 or 3000 RPM In my car shifting later seems to avoid the "hang" May have something to do with light-off in the first catalytic converter (which I no longer have LOL) Just FYI

·
Registered
687 Posts
what your talking about is how the the rpms kind of hang when you shift.That has to do with the weight of the flywheel.If you get a light weight it wont do that

·
-
471 Posts
O_GT said:
what your talking about is how the the rpms kind of hang when you shift.That has to do with the weight of the flywheel.If you get a light weight it wont do that
You're correct that a heavy flywheel has more inertia, but this is more than that. The revs stay at the same point or even increase slightly for a second, then drop off normally. It's due to the ECU holding the throttle open momentarily. Years ago, this used to be done with a dashpot that was readily disabled. It's a whole different ballgame when the control electronics are the issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the ecu hangs the throttle during shifts but also if you just get off the gas abrutly. Hyundai does this to reduce the rubberband effect in the transmission, and to keep the tranny gears on the load side and not the idle side of the gears. Have you not noticed that there isn't a lot of engine braking when you let up on the gas, thats solely because of the ecm keeping the thottle open. Also helps with engine and tranny smothness. my .02

·
-
471 Posts
skycam said:
the ecu hangs the throttle during shifts but also if you just get off the gas abrutly. Hyundai does this to reduce the rubberband effect in the transmission, and to keep the tranny gears on the load side and not the idle side of the gears. Have you not noticed that there isn't a lot of engine braking when you let up on the gas, thats solely because of the ecm keeping the thottle open. Also helps with engine and tranny smothness. my .02
This is just like the valve in the clutch master cylinder; it's designed to help people who don't drive a manual transmission well. For experienced enthusiasts, it's intrusive and counterproductive. It would be nice if Hyundai would offer some alternative ECU programs to allow drivers to custom tune this setting to their personal preference.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Powerchip flash got rid of the habng for me...I have a smooth climb all the way thru acceleration

·
Registered
732 Posts
2004ElantraGLS said:
I did the Slave Cylinder Mod. The only thing it does is increase the amount of clutch fluid flow. In other words, it makes your clutch grab better/harder/faster. Don't get me wrong, it's not even close to having a Stage 3 Clutch, but it does get rid of the feeling like your clutch is slipping.
Axel
How do you do this? is there a DIY on it?

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i had mine ecu reflashed at the dealership...everything is hunkydory now...pulls and behaves the way it should!....the stock clutch is ass....anybody have the thread to the slave cylinder mod??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts