1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
If you hate apple, wouldn't one of the Android phones give you the same functionality of the iPhone, but not be Apple?

I don't really see this as causing more people to run out and get them - only people to upgrade their current phones. If they allow other carriers to start being compatible, that would be the biggest thing they could do to boost sales. AT&T blows - in the past 2 years I've had phones (personal or work) by Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and Sprint/Nextel. AT&T is by far the worst.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Qyn, people don't like reading. Here's a video. http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

I think AT&T is the only thing now holding it back from mass appeal. While I've never had any real issues with AT&T service I understand that many people have. To be honest I think it's people that don't live in "big cities." Their commercials say they cover 97% of the people in the US not 97% of the US. Meaning they take care of the big cities and the rest of the people aren't as well loved.

All of the previous "reasons" people used to call the iPhone an Apple fanboy/fangirl device are gone now as far as I can tell.

For $199 for the 16GB version I think it's a great deal (if you update every two years it's like paying $8.33 a month). I still have an 8GB 3G (skipped the 3GS) so I'm due for a new one. I really like the updated screen, updated camera (though my Kodak Zi8 will still be used for HD video in most cases I think), and the flat back so that it's easier to use while sitting on a table.

EDIT- Oh, one more thing. Last week AT&T changed some of their smart phone plans (including the iPhone) so that you only get a certain amount of data (either 500MB, WTF??? or 2GB) per month. They say 98% of their customers use less than 2GB a month but I'm not so sure. Unlimited plans make the most sense to me but I guess they think they are helping people as the plans are cheaper than the unlimited plans. No unlimited plans will be available to new AT&T customers. Stupid.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA. AT&T? What's that? In Canada all of our major wireless providers carry the iPhone.

I'm definitely down for some HD video... "home movies" will be crisp! It'll also be useful for Twitter, and the Hot Rides/Ricers that I see daily in this city.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Qyn, people don't like reading. Here's a video. http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/#design-video

I think AT&T is the only thing now holding it back from mass appeal. While I've never had any real issues with AT&T service I understand that many people have. To be honest I think it's people that don't live in "big cities." Their commercials say they cover 97% of the people in the US not 97% of the US. Meaning they take care of the big cities and the rest of the people aren't as well loved.

All of the previous "reasons" people used to call the iPhone an Apple fanboy/fangirl device are gone now as far as I can tell.

For $199 for the 16GB version I think it's a great deal (if you update every two years it's like paying $8.33 a month). I still have an 8GB 3G (skipped the 3GS) so I'm due for a new one. I really like the updated screen, updated camera (though my Kodak Zi8 will still be used for HD video in most cases I think), and the flat back so that it's easier to use while sitting on a table.

EDIT- Oh, one more thing. Last week AT&T changed some of their smart phone plans (including the iPhone) so that you only get a certain amount of data (either 500MB, WTF??? or 2GB) per month. They say 98% of their customers use less than 2GB a month but I'm not so sure. Unlimited plans make the most sense to me but I guess they think they are helping people as the plans are cheaper than the unlimited plans. No unlimited plans will be available to new AT&T customers. Stupid.
Well not having a text plan is kind of lame too..........jfwy

2GB is pretty hard to use up, it really is, but its all about perception isn't it. James, when you look at your plan how much are you using, I just checked mine (although it is sprint and it is an android) and I use just less than a gig. The cap plans started today here. I honestly think you will not find anyone that uses that much (unless they tether), but to tell your customers that they are limited is going to be deal breakers.

Anyone thinking about getting the iPhone4 should check out side by side with the new Evo that just came out for Sprint, I have less than 3 months and I will be upgrading to that.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That's true, I think my wife looked and last month together we were just over 1GB so you are right. Do you know if wifi usage is counted? She manages the cell phone stuff so I've never cared to look. I do most of data stuff here at home with the wifi so that could be it. I don't know.

It's more about them wanting to put a limit on it (like how some places have limits on internet data usage) that I think is crap.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
I love my Iphone. I went today to play with some android phones and the new evo and I just dont like them. my only gripe with the Iphone is that you cant lock it in landscape mode. 99% of the time I use it in landscape.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
To be honest I think it's people that don't live in "big cities." Their commercials say they cover 97% of the people in the US not 97% of the US. Meaning they take care of the big cities and the rest of the people aren't as well loved.
I've heard a ton of complaints from people here in L.A. I have the Iphone, but no real complaints about at&t, but I don't really talk that much. My brother needs his cell phone for business and hates AT&T (and Luke Wilson now...) with a passion...

·
Not a n00b
6,519 Posts
I watched that video like 5 times. I am astounded by the face talk thing!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Their commercials say they cover 97% of the people in the US not 97% of the US.
Those commercials were put out in response to Verizon saying they have the most 3G (which they do), so AT&T said - well, we cover 97% of Americans. But, what they didn't say is we cover 97% of Americans with 3G access. Much of AT&Ts areas are still covered by slower, crappier signal technology. See the attachment which shows their 3G coverage in the midwest. The Orange areas are the coverage they count to get the 97% of Americans - but if they counted what mattered it would be much, much lower.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Revive!

I got an iPhone 4 on Saturday as a replacement for my old old old 3G. It's so much more responsive and also the screen is even more amazing than I thought it would be.

After Apple changed the way the signal is displayed I almost never have 5 (full) bars, but usually 3-4 which is good enough when talking to someone. Mike, yeah, when the phone is on the Edge network it's pretty crap. I can agree with that. Good thing 99% of the time I'm in 3G land.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Cool, hope you have fun with it.

You should get text msgs added to your account....lol.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
The camera on the 4 is pretty damn impressive...for a mobile phone camera.

Try the HDR feature. You'll see it on the top center of the camera screen when taking pictures.

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
Revive!

So for the life of me, I can't remember the name of that app that was like a butt dyno to help figure out your 1/4 times with the accelerameter in the iphone/ipod. I had it in my touch a few years ago, but for the life of me i can't remember the name of it (or at least the free version) to put it on my iphone 4.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts