Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I guess this goes in the offtopic section, Iam actually here at hyundai service typing this right now :help: so anyways, yesterday I decided it would be wise to change my brake pads cause they were noisy. So, I begin by trying to loosening the bolts to takes the tires off, SNAP!! there goes one bolt and stud clean off the rims :eek: , then i feel one more that just wasnt loosening at all, and SNAP! there it goes also, by now iam :mad: thinking how can i drive with just 2 bolts on the wheel? so the next day I take it in to the service department at 7:30 am and they are charging me $160 dollars to replace and fix everything up. :bang: mind you the brake pads only costed me 34 bucks :( , so now I get to miss a day of work, iam 160 bucks broker then I was yesterday, all for what should of been a simple 45 minute brake pad swap that I have a countless amount of times! :(

Well, I guess everything happens for a reason :redface: i just wish it would of been cheaper!!

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
yeah that stinks....actually the biggest part of that 160 was prolly the labor rate for the service shop!

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
What kind of lugs were you using? I snapped a stud shortly after putting on my rims using cheap tuner lugs and I wonder if that might have been the problem. Fixing mine only cost about $40 for new lugs and a stud but it did take a couple hours of pounding to get the old one out and the new one in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just reg factory lugs... I looked at the receipt and it showed a 100 in labor...for what I think was just and hour and some change.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
if their labor is 55-65 per hour there you go it depends what that hyundai dealer charges for service per hour!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
May I suggest that in the future, you should use the handy DC powered electric impact wrench sold at Walmart for $19.

It comes in a neat carry case and includes 4 different lug sockets... its very easy to use and plugs into the lighter socket so you can do wheel changes/brake service anywhere you want !

good luck !

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, if it makes you feel any better, They charged me $330 for cutting front rotors and replacing rear brake shoes... apparently it's harder to replace the shoes than pads.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Elkane7533 said:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, They charged me $330 for cutting front rotors and replacing rear brake shoes... apparently it's harder to replace the shoes than pads.

oh my..... :eek:

·
Old timer
298 Posts
Elkane7533 said:
Elkane, My dealer wanted to charge me $245 to turn the front rotors, install new pads on the front and addjust the rear brakes when I took it into them at 18,000 miles for warped rotors. They claimed, and it was true I found out doing it myself, that its a bitch to take our front rotors off. They, Hyundai that is, made the tollerance so close between the ID of the rotors and the OD of the hubs that the slightest ammount of rust/garbage that accumulated back there make for a bitch of a job to pull the rotors. I did the work myself , I put on the Cyro treated ones I got from Jay, and had to beat the old rotors off and it took about 1 1/2hrs to get both sides off :mad: .

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
Same here, I ended up breaking the old pads just to get them off. I thought what the hell is going on? These should slide right out. Took me about the same amount of time, or maybe longer because I had to stop and warm up since it was middle of winter.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
its expensive....especially if you try to do it yourself and they have to fix it! Service guys hate that!

·
HID Master
606 Posts
I snapped off one of my studs on the fronts when I put my new wheels on..good thing I worked on an Accent the day before and took the old wheel studs ( replaced hub and spindle so I kept the old studs )

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts