Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Nitrous Guide ! By ..:FordFasteRR:..

I would like to use this thread to highlight the main concepts behind installing and using Nitrous. As information is added, I will update this first post respectively.

Section A
Requirements: <<< Read First <<<

#1. Be sure to use Premium Gasoline at all times.
#2. Use at least 1 stage colder than stock spark plugs. (NGK: BKR6E-11)
#3. Mount the fogger nozzle 3 to 6 inches before the throttle body and aim the fogger directly into the TB opening.
#4. Use teflon paste instead of teflon tape to prevent bits of tape from clogging the filters and solenoids.
#5. Always mount the nitrous bottle in the trunk using screws or bolts that tie directly to the metal floor pan (this will keep the bottle from flying around in the trunk and possibly rupturing).
#6. If you want to spray more than 100 HP be sure to retard the timing by 1 or 2 degrees. (and possibly... be ready to buy a new motor in a few months)
#7. Avoid using "Dry" nitrous kits, they depend too much on the stock injectors and they are usually not good enough for the proper fuel flow under nitrous use. Use a " Wet Kit " instead. (not to mention that you cant even hook up a traditional dry kit to an XD because it has a returnless fuel system and there is no Fuel pressure regulator on the rail to tap into "which is how traditional dry kits work").

Suggestions:
#1. Avoid wiring your nitrous system using a manual switch, hook it up to the throttle switch to prevent spraying at the wrong time.
#2. Use a bottle warmer to heat up the bottle for more consistent results from the nitrous system.

Suggested Jetting to use:

Nitrous Oxide Systems
34N/18F 40HP
37N/22F 50HP
39N/24F 60HP
41N/26F 70HP
43N/28F 80HP
46N/30F 100HP
52N/33F 125HP
61N/38F 150HP

IMPORTANT NOTE: The XD uses a returnless fuel system with slightly higher fuel pressure than standard return based systems. As a result, you will need to jet the FUEL down by at least 1 - 3 sizes. For example: when i was using the wet kit on my XD, i had the 43N jet and a 25F jet instead of the suggested 28F jet... When I first tried it with the 28F jet, it ran poorly and didnt seem to have such a "KICK"... As soon as I switched to the 25F jet, The car would SCREAM when the nitrous kicked in !...

Section B:
Installation Guide:

This section is meant to detail any specific tips/tricks to getting the nitrous system installed on the Elantra XD.

The trickiest part of this install is most likely the fuel system part. Normally, for any wet kit, you have to tap into the fuel system to supply fuel to the fuel solenoid. Here are some tips for getting the fuel there.

ok, there are 2 ways to tap the fuel line...

the first place is just before the fuel rail, on the part of the fuel line that is made of STEEL.

you can use a regular tube cutter to cut it square in the middle of the steel line, be sure to give yourself at least 2 inches of flat line on each side of the cut so you have room to clamp a high pressure hose around each end between your TEE fitting.

your 2nd choice is to use something like this (gold colored) adapter.....

use an adapter that goes on the end of your stock fuel rail.. It will allow you to get fuel from the rail and run it directly to the fuel solenoid ...

check out this pic:

here is a hint... the thread on the fuel rail is 3/8ths Brittish Pipe Thread !! The blue piece is an adapter for a fuel pressure guage and that is optional.

Section C:
General Questions & Answers:

Q: What is the highest jetting that I can safely use on an XD?
A: Based on my experience and the experience of other XD members who have used nitrous extensively.. I suggest that if you have a stock engine, that you should stay within the 75 hp range. If you like to live on the edge, other members have used up to 100 hp jetting on their stock engine. We have not experienced any problems as a result - BUT I dont suggest going higher than 75 for consistent daily use and engine logetivity.

Q: What should I feel when the nitrous system is spraying?
A: You should feel a kick in the pants of acceleration... The car WILL move much faster than you are used to so be sure to focus on your driving. If you have stock tires, you will most likely spin the wheels in first and part of 2nd gear.. so be ready to change gears quicker than usual.

Q: I have an automatic XD, can I use nitrous safely?
A: Yes. You can use just as much nitrous as the stick shift people... Just have your mechanic add a transmission oil cooler. Total cost should be under $100 including parts and labor (if your mechanic is not a thief).

Q: Are the stock maintenance intervals affected by using nitrous?
A: YES and NO... You should change your oil a little more frequently since the engine is under more stress when you use nitrous... I suggest to change the oil every 2000 miles at most when consistently using nitrous. All of the other maintenance remains unchanged.

Q: Will I need to upgrade my clutch to handle the extra power of nitrous?
A: YES and NO. If you are using a 50 shot or less, I dont suggest it. If you are using a 75 shot or more... then you will want to get a stage 3 race clutch.. You can get a nice one from e-bay for under $300 and labor to install a clutch + resurface the flywheel should not cost more than $300 (unless your mechanic is a thief).

Q: Will using nitrous blow up my motor?
A: This is the most frequently asked question related to nitrous use. The answer is maybe. The chance of a 50-75 shot of nitrous "ITSELF" doing any damage is unlikely... BUT, if your engine is already worn out, or if it has weak bearings or worn piston rings, or a weak head gasket.. the USE of nitrous will accelerate the normal wear of those already weakened parts. So, for example, lets say you bought your car used, and you meticulously changed the oil and did regular maintenance at the required intervals... And so far, your engine seems perfectly fine... Then you install a 50 shot of nitrous and spray it once.. the next day, you hear a pinging and clanking sound coming from your engine... What could have gone wrong ? the nitrous was installed properly and you followed all of the precations and suggestions that you read on the XD site and in all the 50 billion nitrous books out there.. What WENT WRONG ?? Well, most likely, the previous owner of the car chaned the oil once every 10,000 miles... and didnt take care of it so it weakened some parts inside.. When you used the nitrous.. you pushed those weak parts to their limits and they gave out. SO, if you use nitrous, you have to be ready to face the consequences. You could be like me... use an 80 shot and never have a problem with it.. Or you could be like a buddy of mine who used a 55 shot and blew up his motor after one run.

note: This thread was originally mirrored from the nitrousworld.com forum.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
hear hear!

make sure that you add, when someone shoots at your car, you yell NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

and run away as quickly as possible.

j/p bro thats a great thread.

shawn :)

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Damn, I want to install Nitrous on my car SO bad! Whenever I read something like this, I get pissed cause I don't have the money right now. Plus, that little voice inside my head keeps asking me "Are you sure you wanna go that route? What if the engine blows?? This is a brand new car!!"

Oh well, I don't know if I'll ever be able to drop a quick $500 into the car like that. Would be nice though....an extra 50 HP would have kept that damn CRX at bay....oh well.

Axel

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, nitrous has less variables of problematic issues compared to turbocharging..

its easier to control fuel and power with a nitrous system.
its easier to contain detonation due to the nature of nitrous itself..

its overall easier and safer than forced induction..

either method of adding power has its inherent risks...

its your choice of what you want to do.

:)

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Yeah I know, Ford. But I can hook up a good Nitrous kit for about $500-600, whereas a decent Turbo kit will run me upwards of $3000. Even if I piece it together myself, I'm still looking at around $1000-1500.

I don't think I'll ever go Turbo with my Elantra. I don't like the cost, and I also don't like the idea of having the engine under more stress most/all of the time. With Nitrous, I'd probably only use it once a week at best, in situations like that CRX. Well actually, a Tibby swaybar under my ass would have done the trick there, but still.

Anyway, thanks for all the Info, Ford. If/when I get ready to go Nitrous, I'll definately turn to you and the others who are so knowledgable in this field.

Axel

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
I'm debating on whether or not to go nitrous myself. It's definately cheaper than turbo and after reading this I've learned alot more about the Pros and Cons of it. At first I was skeptical because I got my Elantra used and it didn't look like the engine was taken care of but since I now have a practically new engine, and I've taken care of it, my manager at work said he can install me a nitrous kit for dirt cheap(I buy the kit of course). After reading the info about the Theta engine I'm back to the same point as before... undecided. I can wait and see or I can drop money into my car now... I'm also thinking that I can drop a nitrous kit into my car now and in a few years(when I'm out of college) I can get rid of my current Elantra for a new one with the Theta.

·
Registered
84 Posts
CAn you explain how the fuel is injected in a wet system? Also, how much fuel is needed for each hp level

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wattsup4800 said:
CAn you explain how the fuel is injected in a wet system? Also, how much fuel is needed for each hp level
here is how it works... you would tap into the stock fuel sending line .. insert a TEE fitting, plumb that fuel line into the fuel control valve ( Solenoid ).

that solenoid works along side another solenoid that controls nitrous flow from the nitrous bottle.

then, after both solenoids, there are some intermediate lines that lead to a nozzle... the nozzle has openings for both the fuel and the nitrous... the nozzle is placed into a small hole on the intake tube... there are also small restrictor plates known as " JETS " that go inside of the nozzle to control the flow out of the nozzle itself...

when you activate the system, it opens both valves, and sprays the nitrous and fuel mixture into the engine to add the desired power level.

Jet configuration FOR FUEL INJECTION ENGINES....

N2O / Fuel / Horsepower Gained.

34/18 40HP
37/22 50HP
39/24 60HP
41/26 70HP
43/28 80HP
46/30 100HP
52/33 125HP
61/38 150HP

·
Registered
84 Posts
34/18 what measurments are those? Also, so the fuel and nitrous go into the same spot or different spots? Stock injectors are ok then because they are good to like 200whp? correct i have a 99 2.0 BTW

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wattsup4800 said:
34/18 what measurments are those? Also, so the fuel and nitrous go into the same spot or different spots? Stock injectors are ok then because they are good to like 200whp? correct i have a 99 2.0 BTW

if you are using a wet kit, you dont have to worry about what size your stock injectors are... the only thing you have to worry about is the flow capacity of your fuel pump.

i suggest upgrading your factory fuel pump to at least a 190 lph walbro fuel pump (go on ebay to find it) ...

ALso, the jets go into their respective ports on the fogger nozzle.. you cant just stick them in any order you want ...

lastly... to answer your question about the 34/18 ...

the first number is the nitrous jet size. the second number is the fuel jet size... and the last number is the total estimated horsepower increase that you will get from using this combination......... refer to the chart below.

Jet configuration FOR FUEL INJECTION ENGINES....

N2O / Fuel / Horsepower Gained.

34/18 40HP
37/22 50HP
39/24 60HP
41/26 70HP
43/28 80HP
46/30 100HP
52/33 125HP
61/38 150HP

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
you know, after talkin to dave and him having me almost convinced to go w/ a nitrous set up, i was seriously considering it.

but i can not justify spending 3$/gallon for gas. maybe if prices go down, ill have to consider this

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
evan938 said:
you know, after talkin to dave and him having me almost convinced to go w/ a nitrous set up, i was seriously considering it.

but i can not justify spending 3$/gallon for gas. maybe if prices go down, ill have to consider this

Well, I understand your point... But you would still have to spend the same amount of money for gas if you were running a turbo or SC anyway... :)

LOL

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
which is one reason i am semi-happy i didnt get the turbo finished.

when i started gathering parts for the kit, gas was around 150-170/gallon. even w/ premium i would have been under 2$/gallon. it seemed like a lot then, but i knew my mileage would be somewhat lower. if i would have known gas would be 3$ a gallon at this point, i would have never started saving parts and taking a hit on selling the parts i did get. i lost a lot of $ from selling those parts

·
sick in the head
109 Posts
Re: The Nitrous Guide ! By ..:FordFasteRR:..

ok i was wondering about how long do you think youcan run with nitrous do you think after your car hits 100,000 that you should stop using nitrous and where can i get that stuff that you used to tap into the fuel. when I had nitrous on my car i ran a seperate line

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
fordfasterr has the fuel rail adapters to make the "tapping" into the fuel rail easier. and if you already have 100k on the motor, i woiuld be cautious. and how well maintained was the car. all maitinence done, ect.

i now have 68,590 miles and i spray. i didnt start spraying untill i hit 60k. but my car is very well maintained.

·
sick in the head
109 Posts
it has 80 on it now and I started sprying around70 but i blew the tranny already and i know why i didn't have no trans cooler on it but it did last a few shots with out it

oh yeah and the car is really well maintained... oh yeah I was thinking about blowing the motor and having hyundai replace the motor

1 - 20 of 63 Posts