Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crazy Imaginative
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta love getting a car fixed sometimes. Because I'm trying to minimize costs, I've taken up repairs for the front-driver's side axle, because I was told when getting belts tensioned that a CV boot was leaking. I buy the boot, and when I prepare to replace the leaky boot, I lack a specialty tool for it. I return it, a bit miffed that I wasn't informed, and got my cash back. All is good.

I go to a parts store and order a half-shaft then. Wait a couple days (the CV isn't clicking yet...thankfully), and recieve it. I finally find time to replace the half-shaft, and lo-and-behold, after removing the shaft, and comparing the two...I WAS GIVEN THE WRONG ONE. Okay, nice, I lose 1/2 quart of trans fluid just to find out the shaft is not the proper one (thankfully it's .5qt out of 8.6..so it's safe...for now. Despite that, I am going to refrain from freeway driving at all costs until I replenish that precious 1/2 qt.). Nice, real nice. How do you mess up ordering a part for a car with only one engine available in the US, and 2 transmissions, with the only quirk being ABS or no ABS? No extra driveline configurations and whatnot. And while replacing the driver's side...we note the passenger side has had some grease leak. Seriously, I wasn't notified of that from the very beginning?

All I can say is that my car is DAMN lucky I am willing to go to hell and back for the old 'gal. If, despite the research I've went through to get part numbers, I STILL get the wrong shaft...hell will be paid. Or I might take the hit to my bank account and take it to the dealer.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Pretty much sounds like every experience ive ever had with working on a car. Order part, wrong part. Get the right part, have a hell of a time replacing it. Get it replaced, find something else broken in the process.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Yeah stuff like this is why I only mess with routine maintenance like oil changes, spark plugs/wires, filters, brakes and a few other minor things. I tend to rage pretty hard when things don't go as planned with driveability repairs so I leave it to trusted shops to do anything other than what I listed.

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts
story of my life....lol
Pretty much sounds like every experience ive ever had with working on a car. Order part, wrong part. Get the right part, have a hell of a time replacing it. Get it replaced, find something else broken in the process.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
lemme tell you about the crap that i just had to deal with on my MR2.

Clutch hydraulics went out. Decide to replace the clutch master cylinder.

Replaced the master. Thing was a mofo to get out, typical no room to fit a wrench, hydraulic lines pain to line up, etc. I get it in, go to bleed it, spend like 2hrs under the car trying to bleed it, but clutch pedal never gets firm. Decide to replace the slave.
Take old slave clyinder out, same deal, except worse because its on top of the transmission, in a mid-engine car. damn near impossible to reach. Takes like 3hrs to get it in, and the lines hooked up. First attempt to bleed it fails miserably. 2nd attempt I get a one-man bleeder bottle. For the first hour, about every 7-8 pumps of the pedal, the hose would pop off, spilling brake fluid everywhere, making me start over. Finally got it bled, had good clutch feel, everything seemed great. Go to start it, battery was dead. Fine. Jump start it, let it idle for a few minutes, and it runs out of gas. Go to the store, buy a gas can, fill it up with 2gal gas, try to pour it in the car, and the stupid nozzle on the can wont fit in the filler, spilled gas everywhere. Finally got enough gas into it, got it started and drove away.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
lemme tell you about the crap that i just had to deal with on my MR2.

Clutch hydraulics went out. Decide to replace the clutch master cylinder.

Replaced the master. Thing was a mofo to get out, typical no room to fit a wrench, hydraulic lines pain to line up, etc. I get it in, go to bleed it, spend like 2hrs under the car trying to bleed it, but clutch pedal never gets firm. Decide to replace the slave.
Take old slave clyinder out, same deal, except worse because its on top of the transmission, in a mid-engine car. damn near impossible to reach. Takes like 3hrs to get it in, and the lines hooked up. First attempt to bleed it fails miserably. 2nd attempt I get a one-man bleeder bottle. For the first hour, about every 7-8 pumps of the pedal, the hose would pop off, spilling brake fluid everywhere, making me start over. Finally got it bled, had good clutch feel, everything seemed great. Go to start it, battery was dead. Fine. Jump start it, let it idle for a few minutes, and it runs out of gas. Go to the store, buy a gas can, fill it up with 2gal gas, try to pour it in the car, and the stupid nozzle on the can wont fit in the filler, spilled gas everywhere. Finally got enough gas into it, got it started and drove away.
This would leave me either wanting to kill someone or wanting to take a baseball bat to the car right before I blow it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts