1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
01 Elantra GLS - Newbie
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 01' Elantra GLS, about 77k mi.
Environment: Warm FL weather.
Current Issue: Overheating!!

I bought this about 3 months ago, for $3k (which I thought was a good deal)... since then I've put in over $1k in the car ($400 was for new tires).

So here is what has been done (in the correct time frame) thus far from 10/08-12/08

Oil Change - done when first bought car
*recommended I change two of the drive belts

Started going to a neighborhood mechanic named Mike for all below services (minus the tires)>

2 drive belts - (they were worn)... should have done all three at once!

Front breaks & semi-ceramic rotors - breaks were getting low

the other drive belt (power steering) - fixed squealing

Coolant Flush & Thermostat - done when car was first overheating (seemed to fix it for 2 weeks)

4 Nice New General Altimax Tires - (for safety) needed good tires for wet road driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa.

NKG Spark Plugs & Standard brand Wires - done when car wouldn't start (called AAA for tow)
*at this time, also broken coil pack plug was adjusted to stay in place.

Removed (new) Thermostat - 2 days after "fixing" the non-start issue (had the car towed AGAIN by AAA to my place of employment. My "Mechanic" (Mike) gives the diagnosis:
*I was told the car wasn't starting because it was actually overheating.
*remove broken housing on coil plug, replaced 2 red wires (will take picture)
*am told the temp. sensor also needs replacing

Just now, About 4 day after the last "fix"... BACK AGAIN... coming home from work (at least its not in the morning this time) OVERHEATING AGAIN! Luckily I was just on my street coming home from work when the temp on the gauge started rising. Something sounded like "loose screws falling out of engine" started ... really sound like my engine was literally falling apart.

MY DILEMMA - out of money, about to lose my job because all time lost from car issues, "driving" me mad! :mad: ... I've been to this mechanic at least 6 times already, 3 of which was to fix this overheating/non-starting issue.

My engine, body, and everything looks clean and well taken care of... but because I cant afford the fixes nor the time lost, I'm really am considering taking it the road and trying to take public transportation right about now!!

With my lasts, I am taking it to the dealership for diagnosis... looks like I gotta charge my past due credit card again for another rental so me and my mother can get to work tomorrow (enterprise picks you up - so much needed for me right now).... I am losing it!!

Does anyone have any insight to whats going on with my baby!? I feel like adopting her right about now!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Water pump working?? Fans working? Is the AC on when it happens??? More INFO

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
How about, get a new "mechanic". If he didn't fix it the first 5 times, I wouldn't have gone back for a 6th.

·
01 Elantra GLS - Newbie
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about, get a new "mechanic". If he didn't fix it the first 5 times, I wouldn't have gone back for a 6th.
Well the first 3 times were unrelated to the overheating issue.. but yes, I know what you mean.. the thing is though, its real convenient that he comes out to wherever I am, and works with me after hours, etc.... rather than dropping my car off and leaving it at a dealership for repairs. Both me and mother are relying on one vehicle.

===
Water pump working?? Fans working? Is the AC on when it happens??? More INFO
===

Not sure how to tell if that water pump is working. The fans do work... the heat & AC didn't seem to work... thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in the West Palm Beach area and had a similar overheating issue. What it turned out to be was the radiator low on coolant/water. Filled it and was fine for a couple of weeks, that is, until one of the hoses finally tore/cracked/whatever you want to call it. Coolant everywhere. Replaced hose and have been fine ever since.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this: Check coolant/water level. If that's low, that might be your problem. Also, check under the car for any kind of leaks that could be related to bad hoses. If you don't "see" any leaks, look under the hood; there are plenty of places for water/coolant to collect and possibly burn off without you really noticing. If you see any fluids on/around engine, that could be the problem. If any hoses do turn out to be bad, replace them.

That's my experience with overheating cars. It may seem like the simplest thing, something like checking the coolant level, but you never know... check it anyway.

Hope it works out for you.

·
01 Elantra GLS - Newbie
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the West Palm Beach area and had a similar overheating issue. What it turned out to be was the radiator low on coolant/water. Filled it and was fine for a couple of weeks, that is, until one of the hoses finally tore/cracked/whatever you want to call it. Coolant everywhere. Replaced hose and have been fine ever since.

So I guess what I'm getting at is this: Check coolant/water level. If that's low, that might be your problem. Also, check under the car for any kind of leaks that could be related to bad hoses. If you don't "see" any leaks, look under the hood; there are plenty of places for water/coolant to collect and possibly burn off without you really noticing. If you see any fluids on/around engine, that could be the problem. If any hoses do turn out to be bad, replace them.

That's my experience with overheating cars. It may seem like the simplest thing, something like checking the coolant level, but you never know... check it anyway.

Hope it works out for you.
Thanks a lot... I think this will have me look in the correct place. I don't see any leaks, but your right, it might be hiding somewhere... I have had to fill up my coolant a few times, and I have no idea where its going! ~ the first thing I am going to do at the crack of dawn!

One thing I don't understand though (and probably because my lack of knowledge on the heating/cooling system)... why would I not get heat if my coolant is low?

·
xd tunner
1,488 Posts
Ask (if you're able too) the previous owner to sincerely tell you if he did the 60k maintenace and waht parts he replaced.

To fix the water level getting low without leak floor spots issue you should check/look for water/coolant spots on the following:

1. Check the IM surrounding areas
2. Intake manifold TB lines
3. Coolant hoses (there are 3)
4. Thermostat housing
5. Heater hoses and the water pump area.
6. Both radiator tanks integrity (mine blewed away at almost 60k)
7. A radiator panel leak

Is your engine performace OK?

·
Registered
976 Posts
i had an overheating issue but mine turned out to be the thermostat stuck closed. i noticed it when it got really humid in my car and the ac wasn't cold...looked down and the temp guage was pegged at max.

cost me a pretty penny to get it fixed (i had them do the timing belt and other acc belts at the same time tho) but i haven't had another issue with the cooling/heating

i'll also agree with the other guys, if the guy can't get it right the first 5 times i wouldn't go back

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
I'm going to guess its likely the water pump. It also explains why you don't have any heat. Why did you have the coolant flush done? was the coolant bad (rusty, dark, etc)?

edit: Try and describe this "screws falling out" sound a bit better. How does it overheat? does it gradually rise? or does it go up and then fall a little then rise again? Why were you told that the temp sensor needed to be changed?

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you don't have heat at the vents it could be because you don't have coolant flowing through the heater.

That sounds a little nutty if you don't know that the coolant for a healthy engine is just shy of boiling hot, and heats air quite nicely when you run it through a heat exchanger inside your car's HVAC system.

The lack of coolant flow would explain why people are mentioning the water pump. The falling-apart noise could be the bearings in the water pump, which is Strong Bad to have fail on the road and should be checked ASAP

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hyundai and a lot of other manufacturers use squeeze clamps instead of gear clamps on most rad connections. For a dollar each, its worth using the geat clamps that can be tightened up. Very common cause for tiny leaks you can't find. You don't have heat with a low volume of coolant in the engine; because there is not enough fluid for the water pump to force it through the smaller hoses of the car heater core.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Bo daddy
224 Posts
Yea those screws falling out of the engine sound sounded exactly how mine sounded when my car overheated due to a stuck tstat and a crcked radiator....ended up replacing both myself have been ok ever since. That is a sketch sound to hear though. good luck buddy.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
it could be a bad thermostat (had it happened to me) water pump is done or and air bubble in the system...if there is an air bubble on the backside of the thermostat it wont open either.

look for white powerdery substance from hoses or water pump....the water pump will/does leak...

and finally....forget that mechanic!!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My friends Acura Legend would overheat. He thought it was the manifold gaskets till he burped the system and it was fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts