Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Sum
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread here on ElantraXD was very helpful in helping me find the thermostat but it didn't mention anything about a thermostat gasket and I need some help.

I ran across this photo DIY at another site (not specific to the Elantra but very helpful) that stresses gasket replacement. I know there was no seperate gasket in the box with the t-stat I ordered.

• Should I have also purchased a gasket?
  • Is it attached to the t-stat itself?
  • Should I be prepared to scrape off an old one when I open up the housing?
  • Or (hopefully) is there no t-stat that needs to be replaced?

Thanks - Alex
--------------
2001 Elantra GLS 70k

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Usually thermostats come with a new gasket. The wrap around the circumference of the thermostat. Usually no scraping is done. Call the Hyundai dealer, and ask whether or not it should have come with a new gasket, and whether or not the sell them.

·
Cogito Ergo Sum
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the thermostat now that I'm home and there is no pre-attached gasket. It's 100% metal.

Parts counter at my old store is closed so I checked the AutoZone Web site and they do sell thermostat gaskets RESULTS HERE.

So, to add to my confusion there are TWO gaskets. One says upper and one says lower.

Does anyone with experience changing their own thermostat know if I need the upper or lower?

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
there is only ONE gasket for the thermostat. The gasket shouldn't be pre-attached, it'll be a seperate gasket, either in copper or cork.

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
you don't need to remove the whole housing to replace the t-stat so why mess with it?

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
After looking at the diagram, I am wondering why you would need to replace the gasket on the inlet fitting. I mean, if it is in good condition, why replace it. Or is it best to do it that way there are no problems?

And because I'm not sure it's been clarified here, the only gasket that needs to be replaced, if necessary, is the Coolant Inlet Fitting gasket, correct?

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
After looking at the diagram, I am wondering why you would need to replace the gasket on the inlet fitting. I mean, if it is in good condition, why replace it. Or is it best to do it that way there are no problems?
You would replace it if it was leaking.

·
7 psi tunned by poweraxel
3,203 Posts
hope this helps,

Purchase the T-stat gasket they don't always sell them together, if the T-stat gasket is a red paper looking thing then u will also need some gasket maker, the gasket maker kinda looks like a bottle of tooth paste and the paste inside usually also looks red.

1.) 99% of the time The T-stat will always be located on the upper radiator hose inside the housing where the end of the hose meets the engine block, but on our cars the BETA II engines it looks like the end of the lower radiator hose on the engine block holds the access the the T-stat.

2.) remove the upper end of the lower radiator hose and remove the 2 nuts holding the T-stat housing inplace and pull out the housing, you will see the t-stat and so remove it by pulling it out, scrape off any gasket that is left over nice and clean and make sure its nice and dry before u install the new gasket.

remove this end of the hose

this is where the Thermostat is located

removed these 2 nuts here and pull out housing to reveal the T-stat

3.) I have not needed to remove my t-stat yet because its working fine but if the gasket is red then apply a tiny bit of gasket maker only if needed to hold the new gasket in place, some times the gaskets are black ruber cirlces and so it will just fall in place on the housing, again im not sure how it looks inside on our betta II's

make sure the new t-stat goes back in the same way it was lined up before you took it out, and the pointy part should be facing out, then just screw back the 2 nuts on the housing and reinstall the radiator hose (dont over torque the screw or you will ruin and squish the gasket, just torque it till it feels tight enough, the gasket maker will also help give a good seal to the housing.

After you finish reinstalling your new T-stat start your car up and turn the heater on then add some 50/50 mix of green coolant to the radiator, once the heater is blowing hot after the radiator is full then close it up and your done.

the reason you turn the heator on is to make sure you dont have any air pockets in your system, if there are air pockets your heater will not blow hot and you will overheat.

i give this job a 3 in how hard it is from 1-10, its a very quick and easy job. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts