Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all this is a big THINKING, not sure I'm going to change yet.

I currently have a JVC KD-LH1000 (stats here) and love it. It's more than I need, but I love all the features it has. Thing is, it's about 2 yrs. old 1st gen in the series, and doesn't have MP3/WMA CD capabilies. It'll play CDRs&CDRWs, so that's cool and I love everything about it. BUT I want to have more music and maybe get rid of some of the CDs in my door. I was thinking maybe attaching a CD Changer to it (it has changer controls), but at the same time I was thinking about maybe getting something totally different. I paid a little over $300 when it was new, and don't want to spend that much again. I've been checking out ebay, but any suggestions of models to look at would be appreciated. Also, what do you guys think about adding the changer instead of replacing the HU?

Oh, and I love JVC - you should see my home theater equipment mwuhahah.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a big JVC fan myself and I'm of the opinion that maybe you should just add the CD changer to what you have. You obviously like the head unit. Also, if you just add the CD changer, it will "buy" you a couple more years...then you'll be looking at some newer stuff all together. :)

Just my $0.02.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
does your JVC have aux input capability (it should if it's changer-compatible)? if so, why spend another $200-300 on something you already have and like just to add mp3 support? why not spend $300 or so on an 20 or 30GB ipod, and store your entire music collection on it (i have about 300 albums on my ipod, and only have 8 of 30GB used up). then mount the ipod's dock in the console... just slip the ipod into the dock, switch the HU to aux mode, and voila! way, way better than a changer. the ipod's preamp output circuitry is really audiophile grade as well, it uses 24-bit D/A converters. i even rigged it so it charges while it's in the dock... i'll post a picture of it when i get home.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I am 99% sure that he doesn't have inputs. But mike you could just use a wired fm modulator and put in a dreamcast with linux, a super memory card a 7" lcd and power invertor for less than 300 bucks..

That way you have a computer in your car, winamp with visualzations and dreamcast!!!

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have always been a fan of the Kenwood Excelon series of equipment. I have the X569 HU in my car, which is Mp-3 cdr cdrw capatible, altough I have yet to use any of those features it sure sounds neat to say. What I like best about the Excelon is the amazing degree of system tweeking (technical term) that can be done from the HU. They sound good also. I have a pet shop not far from my house that takes good care of me on price so I can't complain there either. That being said I would just add the changer, theres nothing better than being able to drive to Monterey Mexico and never hear the same song twice.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sed said:
I am 99% sure that he doesn't have inputs.
Haha, you're 99% wrong. The HU has the option for CD changer input, or aux input (can't use both though). The IPOD is an idea I may look at, however for 1/2 the cost I could add the changer. Like I said, I'm only on the THINKING stage right now, not anywhere close to making up my mind. Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i think you can get an aftermarket aux input adapter that converts the CD changer input port to an aux input port. $30 at installer.com:

http://www.installer.com/aux/index.html#

scroll down to JVC

i mean, seriously, why pay $150-200 for a changer that can play at MOST 5.4 GB of music in mp3 format when you can get an ipod for $300 that can hold 6-times that amount, plus be able to listen to it wherever you want, including your car? plus it's the size of a deck of cards.

·
Registered
540 Posts
sed said:
I am 99% sure that he doesn't have inputs. But mike you could just use a wired fm modulator and put in a dreamcast with linux, a super memory card a 7" lcd and power invertor for less than 300 bucks..

That way you have a computer in your car, winamp with visualzations and dreamcast!!!

Holy crap! I have a dreamcast! I gotta do that! What an idea! Never thought of that! Buwaha!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
04Elantra said:
ahhh...southpaw ditched the 45z for a CD400!
good catch on that. i did ditch the CD45z, only because it didn't handle CDR's too well, unless they were made on music-quality CDRs (which 9/10th of my CDR colleciton is NOT on). i debated for a long time whether the upgrade to the CD400 was worth it, but for $270 new how could i pass it up? especially when i got $210 for my CD45z???

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Nice southpaw...if the LED dash lights that 04 CVVT is trying works out (my instrument cluster will be blue), I am going to wait for the CD-500 to come out later this year cause its display is blue/red selectable (instead of amber/green).

Otherwise, I will keep everything green and get the CD400 too! You convinced me of its awesomeness when you mentioned it to me a couple of months ago! :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yeah, i can hear subtle details in the music that i've never picked up on before...even through the factory fronts! it's sharper than my home onkyo 1-bit CD player and onkyo receiver for sure... now if i can only manage to squeeze time this long weekend to get my 236is's and amp in...

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I don't know what Im gonna do yet, but if I get a new HU it'll probably be THIS ONE. It does everything I have now, plus lots more - like touch screen and the ability to add your own pictures. It's kinda pricey at crutchfield, and I wouldn't buy it from there, but that's a good resource for browsing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
:eek: Whoa! That's what I've been looking for for my wife's car...well actually for my car, but I already put in a new HU, so the Sonata will have to have the really *nice* one... :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts