Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Turbo back in!!!
310 Posts
I posted real quick on my way out the door at work. I was thinking about this and I realized that the steel wheels are the ones that fit and the GT alloys did not.

Here is what I think is going on. When I did a test fit the brake pads were brand new (full thickness) and had also not been put under pressure by the piston yet. Because of these things the GT alloys did NOT fit over the Tib calipers.

I think that when Evan938 tried the GT alloys he had some wear on the pads and they had been compressed to some extent by actual usage. Thus allowing 2mm clearance.

So worst case scenario is that a brand new set of pads on Tib calipers may not fit until they are worn down slightly. You may be able to sand a millimeter off each pad as well but I don't recommend this.
I installed these calipers + Sonata rotors yesterday and I concur that the GT alloys DID NOT fit. All were brand new parts (except for calipers) and the pistons hadn't been compressed yet. I had to go and get some wheel spacers (only able to grab 8mm ones) and put them on to get proper clearance. With those spacers, I had only 4mm clearance between the caliper and the ''branches'' of the GT alloys. (I will go back out later and measure the clearance once the piston has been compressed, I doubt there will be much difference).

However, I must say that this setup brakes really well. I love how the brake pedal feels now compared to when I had the Elantra calipers.:)

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
im pretty sure i posted video evidence that it fit, and everyone at the meet saw it as well...and this was with someone elses GT wheel, so you know i didnt modify the wheel in any way

·
Turbo back in!!!
310 Posts
Could it be there's something different with the Canadian model? That's the only thing that comes to my mind....

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
I found some dimpled slotted ebc for the sonata but there $200 smackers for them. Actually I want to know if anyone has swapped the stock master cylinder for the Tiburon one.

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Not yet. The hard lines don't match up so alot of modification is required. I will probably attempt this once I get the SE aluminum calipers installed. I think the MC will help with reducing pedal travel and the booster will definitely make it brake easier with light pedal pressure.

·
aduran
59 Posts
I install Tiburon GT Calipers + Tiburon GT Rotors I took the rotors to a shop to make the rotors fit on my elantra XD (from 5 to 4), and worked perfect a lot better brake!!!

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
what. the. ****.? its the same parts. do you think because its a year later they wont fit? get the parts listed above and you'll be fine.

is this a serious question?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I installed these calipers + Sonata rotors yesterday and I concur that the GT alloys DID NOT fit. All were brand new parts (except for calipers) and the pistons hadn't been compressed yet. I had to go and get some wheel spacers (only able to grab 8mm ones) and put them on to get proper clearance. With those spacers, I had only 4mm clearance between the caliper and the ''branches'' of the GT alloys. (I will go back out later and measure the clearance once the piston has been compressed, I doubt there will be much difference).

However, I must say that this setup brakes really well. I love how the brake pedal feels now compared to when I had the Elantra calipers.:)
im pretty sure i posted video evidence that it fit, and everyone at the meet saw it as well...and this was with someone elses GT wheel, so you know i didnt modify the wheel in any way
what. the. ****.? its the same parts. do you think because its a year later they wont fit? get the parts listed above and you'll be fine.

is this a serious question?
No proof and no pictures, might fit, might not. That's where the posts lead me to believe cos it doesn't show the actual result!!!!

In the video, the rim wasn't even torqued right up against the rotor hat. Just held in place with 1 lug...1 LUG!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
i agree with mike, that's kind of what I got. Just was curious if anyone actually is driving with this setup.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts