Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 GT, all factory suspension until recently.

When I switched from the stock Michelin tires to 195/60R15 Dunlop S/P Sport A2, I noticed quite a bit of handling improvement. :)

I then recently added the Tiburon GT rear sway bar, and that seemed to improve the handling somewhat, although the back end does seem looser since the tires are working harder. Changing the tire pressure a bit (36-38psi front, 32psi rear) helped, though.

Now, I added an Evo Fusion front stut tower brace, and I swear that the handling is worse! The tires now squeal loudly around corners, which hasn't happened since I got rid of the Michelins. It feels like the car wants to slide sideways around sharp bends; especially on the second bend of a hard S-curve. I tried 38/30psi and 40/34psi front/rear tire pressures, but neither seem to help. I'm disappointed. :(

:confused: Any ideas?

If not, anyone want a slightly used Evo Fusion front strut tower brace cheap? :fiddle:

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
um....you need a rear brace and it will go neutral again ;) ....once you lower the car or put in new struts...it will feel better...oh and your line through the corner will make a big difference as well

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
It sounds like the tires are the culprit to me. You'd need bigger wheels so you can use a higher performance tire w/ an even stronger sidewall to get the full effect. Of course springs help too, but even if you bolted your suspension arms to the frame of the car, you'd still be experiencing the crappy sidewall rollover. The importance of a strong sidewall really became apparent to me when I downgraded from a Z-rated tire to a W-rated tire.

It still does sound strange though... that the strut bar actually made handling worse.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
it can make the front end push(understeer) if the rear is still loose......actually i have read in a couple of mags that on a macphersion set up should not use a front strut brace...because it doest create understeer...bigger tires or Z rated tires never hurt either! *LOL*

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
"it can make the front end push(understeer) if the rear is still loose"
- Yeah, I think it probably is still loose because of the tires.

You know you might also be OK with 205/55-15 Falken Azenis. They're known for the strong sidewalls. Anyway, when it comes time to shop for new tires, you'll know what to look for. ;)

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that the mods might have been too much for the tires.

I was hoping to even out a bit of the oversteer from the tib sway bar with the front brace, but it didn't work. I am surprised how much difference the strut tower brace makes -- I thought at worst it wouldn't do anything, but I really feel the difference when I drive aggressively through corners.

I think for now I'll just yank the strut brace and hold onto it until I have $ for better wheels/tires and then try it again. :rolleyes: At least the rear sway bar is still worthwhile.

I like the idea of a rear strut brace, but I hate to have a bar running across the rear opening; it defeats most of the utility of the hatchback. Now, If I could find one that was easily pulled out temporarily with no tools once in a while when I needed to carry something big...

The moral of this story for those of you with mostly stock suspension is (and I read this before in another post but didn't heed the suggestion): Don't bother with the front strut tower brace!

Thanks for the feedback! :bowdown:

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
only1db said:
um....you need a rear brace and it will go neutral again ;) ....once you lower the car or put in new struts...it will feel better...oh and your line through the corner will make a big difference as well
only1db gave you the answer. You'll need the rear brace to balance the front and get you back to neutral...

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your last post all the way through :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the tib sway bar and a SR front and rear strut bar. i just added the rear bar. i didn't experernce what you are talking about per say. i had my own issues. you need stiffer side wall tires. that will make a HUGE difference. i will be getting some pics of my rear bar soon but it sits right between the seat and the hatch cover thingy. but it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i know this is a dumb post but the hangover is kicking me around. you want the measurements from the rear strut bar to the spare tire cover thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts