Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking this idea around for a few weeks now and I just thought to ask if anyone has tried to install the cloth seats out of an 03 Tiburon in an XD. I know that the floors have a different contour to them but figured a set of adaptor rails could be built. But will they physically fit between the door panel and the center console? Also what would be involved in wiring the airbags back into a car that wasn't meant for those seats? If these minor questions get answered I'll probably go for it before the end of the summer, All Hyundai has the seats for about 650 a pair, would make a unique and cool mod don't you think? :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ugh,

get racing seats, I am thinking that the airbag modules are different, you will have to wire new harnesses and there is absolutely no guarantee the airbags will go off after that. if you are going to forgo the bags, why not just get seats.

on a related note, I talked to district rep for Hyundai of America down here in florida about my seats.. Apparantly, if you disconnect the airbags in the seats, your airbags will still deploy from the dash. the sensors from the bumpers are on a different circut than the seats, but in a crash are all activated.... so you will have frontal airbags, just not side impact.

oh well thought i would pass that on

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually shopped around and can't seem to find a racing seat that fits me near as well as the stockers in the Tib, thats why all the questions. The closest I've come is the Recaro Trend and they are HELLA expensive (also no chance on airbags) I really want to be able to keep the side airbags by fair means or foul, the safety aspect is hard to overlook. That and I thought it would be really cool to do what no one else has and use OEM stuff from the brother car to mod mine.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
I went through the same thing about a month ago.......I dont want to give up my side airbags to have cloth race seats....just in case something happens :(

Unfortunately, Hyundai put the damn airbags in the seats instead of the B-pillar! :mad:

And katzkin only makes leather seat covers (and I dont want to change the whole interior to match). :mad:

If you get any ideas, please let me know. ALSO...I feel ya with trying to modify the Elantra with other Hyundai parts...thats been my plan....looking stock is cool :cool:

MAYBE HYUNDAI WILL MAKE A "RACE EDITION" CAR SOON WITH RECARO STYLE SEATS WITH AIRBAGS>>>>THEN WE CAN SWAP 'EM IN.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
sed said:
I am thinking that the airbag modules are different, you will have to wire new harnesses and there is absolutely no guarantee the airbags will go off after that.
actually the tib seat's airbag harness will plug directly into the elantra's. it's a two-wire plug and it's the same plug hyundai uses on all its side-airbag equipped cars. hyundai uses the same airbags as well, so there will be no problem swapping the XD and tib seats with respect to airbag function.

·
600 Posts
You got any good pics of the Tib Cloth seats?????

Couldnt find any on newtib....,I might do this mod if the seats have the look I have been searching for...sporty, yet subtle...and especially OEM.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I think this has been kicked around before quite a bit on the old site. I don't think anyone ever got them to fit in an XD if memory serves..

·
Registered
99 Posts
to fit in Tib seats, I'm pretty sure you're gonna need the old rails out of a donor tib.

All of this is probably available at a dealership (99.9% positive)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think ford tried this but I don't remember if it worked

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info on the airbag thing SPB! The rail issue can't be that hard to solve. I just have to wait for the Visa to cool off before investing in the seats. Got to AllHyundaiIsuzuparts.com if you want to see pictures of the cloth seats, I think you'll like them as much as I do. Thanks for all the great input guys!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice.. I know what seats I am gonna get. I raised this question a long time ago.

It would be nice if the backseats would fit, but I highly doubt they would.

·
600 Posts
You could always get the rear seats and "modify" the covers (or have an upholstery place do it) so that the interior looks uniform.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
AHI has the seats, I just :rolleyes: hafta figure out which bank to rob So many mods so little money. I do plan to do this later on this summer.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
I was at the dealer to pick up a roof rack for my Elantra GT. While I was there, I looked at where the Tib seat brackets bolted to the floor. It appears that, if you got the seats and the brackets from the donor Tib, they'd bolt right in. That makes the most sense, since the Elantra XD and Tib are on virtually the same chassis. I looked at the brackets on the Santa Fe just out of curiosity, too, but I think the console side bracket may have mounted differently at the back.

There's a Tib owner who lives up the block from me. If I see them pull up, I'll ask if I can at least measure the bracket spacing front to rear and side to side. (Heck, perhaps I can even convince them to let me try swapping the seats!)

If I get a chance to measure the Tib brackets, I'll post the results here.

If anyone else tries the swap in the mean time, I'd love to hear if it works.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool! Thanks man much appreciated. I figured I wouls have to get the rails from the Tib, my biggest question is whether the aggressively bolstered Tib seats will physically fit between the door panel and the center console in the XD. So if you think of it also measure the width of the seat at the widest part of the thigh bolster.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any Update on this??

--NY

1 - 19 of 19 Posts