Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I tie into to get power for some interior accent tubes I just got? I would rather tie in near the fuse box to get my power. :) I have a control box with on/off function if that helps any.

I am going to get power to the box and then go and hide the mounting.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
I'd suggest tapping into the power leads on the backside of the cigarette lighter. That way, your accessories are drawing on a little-used circuit (15 amp, I believe) and they'll turn off when you turn the key off. That would probably be the easiest and safest place to make a connection -- no other electrical or mechanical parts to get in the way.

You can get taps that plug in to the fuse box that give you a blade connector for a crimped-on female blade connector, but I don't think they'll clear the back of the box that covers the fuse panel.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah, I just got finished tapping into the power fromt he rear of the ciggerette lighter. And when I put everything back together, I knocked one of the butt connectors loose and now I don't have radar detector or neons. Grrrrr... Now I gotta open it back up.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
It's always a challenge tapping into 12v in the newer cars.
You'll get it; it always takes me at least two tries to get all the stuff working, too.

At least you only knocked out your radar detector/neons and not something like your ignition or other vital wiring, though, right? :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
not to preach, but stay away from crimp connectors, they always cause problems. solder and tape your splice joints when you can, it's the most reliable. i can't recall how many times ppl would come into my shop with stereo/alarm problems that were traced back to poor crimp connections!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything right, now. :) Just need to do a little touch up on the hiding of stuff, but you can't see it as it is, now. Only problem is I used electrical tape to hide everything so I gotta get up there and use wire ties.

It looks pretty good, too. :) You can't see the bulb so it's not rice! (In my book, anyways) And the girlfriend loves it, which is what counted in the first place, anyways. :) Now I am gonna go get another one on tuesday and put it on the drivers side and I'll be good to go. :)

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
You would just connect it to that wire then, under the dash. But you don't want to draw too much from a single fuse. Using a less used circut is better. Also if you don't have your wiring correct and you cause a short, you may lose your headlights until it's corrected. If you lose your cigarette lighter, who cares, but your headlights are much more important

1 - 13 of 13 Posts