Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just replaced my timing, and accessory belts, a water pump, and a valve cover gasket. The car will crank, but won't start. I checked the #1 sparkplug for spark, that works. Checking for TDC, I find the camshaft at 9:00 when #1 is at TDC.

I'm concerned that I tightened the crank bolt with the crank 180 degrees from home, and that it's now gotta be torn down, corrected, and re-done.

Can I just loosen the timing tensioner while the #1 piston's at TDC, take off the belt, and manually turn the upper cam to correct time marking by itself, then re-attach the timing belt to the upper cam sprocket, and re-tension it to synchronize the good time?

I don't want to go through re-torquing the crank bolt again. I had a mobile mechanic torque it. He's probably already got other morons like me coming and going.

You're all so helpful. Will my dog hunt?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Buy 180 lbs torque electric impact wrench. You can buy one from Harbor Freight for $40.

I don't think your problem is from inadequate crankshaft torque. Just misaligned timing marks. Never try to turn camshaft without the belt. You can break it. Forget about the TDC. If you can align the timing marks, it's at TDC. There are unnecessary procedures at HMA service website such as removing camshaft pulley or spark pulgs. Just align the timing marks on both crankshaft and camshaft and rotate crankshaft two complete revolutions (720 degrees) and check the timing marks again. At this point, there is no way to solve your problem without dismantling everything.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
From your description, it sounds like the timing could be off.

If your timing is off, your pistons will smack the valves and cause major damage. These cars are interference motors.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's not 180 degrees, but 720 degrees. What you need to do is just to align timing marks. One tooth off timing marks won't damage the engine, but it sounds like your timing marks are completely off, I mean a way off. You said that your engine didn't crank. Hopefully the pistons didn't hit the valves yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It was turned out of time when I loosened the tensioner and turned the crankshaft. It wouldn't turn over. I took down the crank pulley and reset the timing marks by removing the belt and independently adjusting the cam clockwise. Not a great strategy, but it worked. After someone else impacted the crank bolt, everything turned over. Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 2.0 and just replaced the head with a rebuilt one. I had to take the VVT off the old one and install it on the new head. I thought I replaced it the same way it came off but something is not right. How do you time the read cam shaft? The front one is connected to the timing belt and that is set TDC and timed correctly. I think I may have put the VVT unit and chain on wrong. Turned engine over by hand and it is free and no noise or clucks. Put it together and it seems to lack compression and will not start. HOW do I make sure the VVT and chain are timed or on correctly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts