Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I replaced the timing belt on our 2005 elantra 2.0 and now the car wont start. I have done timing belts before but this one was weird

Everything came apart and went together fine the problem i had was timing the car...

I lined up the crank sprocket with red mark-that went fine

Then i lined up the crank sprocket with the "timing mark" on the block but this was the problem i believe! what is the mark!? I used the "line" that was to the left of an indentation. Was I supposed to use the indentation? The indentation seemed to wide to go by so i used the line.

Also even if I was off a tooth wtf wouldnt the car at least start? Car has spark and fuel so it must be a timing issue.

Any help would be great, if anyone is feeling generous and wants to help me over the phone it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Check Youtube. There are detailed Elantra timing belt replacement demonstrations. Is your start moter running? Check the battery. It may have been discharged. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket (indentation) to the timing mark on the front case. Rotate crankshaft two full turns and check the timing marks again on both and make sure they are still aligned. The indentation (arrow) on the crankshaft sprocket is clear and is not wide. There is no margin of error. Remember: align "arrow to arrow".

·
Registered
75 Posts
What do you mean won't start? Does it crank? Is it completely dead or does the car still power up? Just be glad your annoying coworker didn't break your special order power steering reservoir. After doing the WHOLE job and the car was running...Fried the pump almost immediately. Had to make a temporary reservoir out of a Downey bottle, sharpies, and aircraft sealant. Hey...It got me home. Throw us a few more details!

Also, you could have moved the crank in a way where the crank sensor is sitting right between teeth...in which case it can't get a reading and might not start. Just an idea...Happens all the time on Mercedes. I can't say I've had that problem on my xd though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the head on a 2005 Elantra 2.0 with a rebuilt one from Cylinder Heads. Had to take the vvt off the old one and put it on the new one. Now, everything is put back together after lining up all the timing marks and replacing timing belt. Turned it over several times by hand to make sure there was no noise...it was fine. It will not start, turns over and almose sounds like a lack of compression. All gaskets were replaced. Could it be 180 degrees off or pssible something to do with the vvt? Help? Thank you all in advance. Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts