Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife put her 2005 Elantra in for an oil change, the service writer called and said that the timing belt was due to be changed (60,000 miles?). How critical is it that we change the timing belt. I know they are going to charge $$$$$ for this.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
It's due and you have the years on top of that. I have 150 K miles and I've done the belt twice DIY. Dealer wanted $450.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
When my wife put her 2005 Elantra in for an oil change, the service writer called and said that the timing belt was due to be changed (60,000 miles?). How critical is it that we change the timing belt. I know they are going to charge $$$$$ for this.
The timing belt need to be changed every 48 months (4 years) or 60,000 miles. I think the 4 years is a little early but I woulnd't go past 60,000 miles.

How critical? If the belt breaks, the best case scenario is you bend some valves. Worst case:

Also, if the belt breaks after 60,000 miles, your 100,000K miles warranty WILL NOT cover the damage (if you are the original owner).

At 60k you should not only change the T-belt (every 60k miles) but change the trans fluid (every 30k miles), power steering fluid (every 60k miles), brake fluid (every 60k miles) and coolant (every 30k miles). I think the entire service cost me about $700 on my 2006 V6 Tucson. Should be less for a 4-cyl Elantra.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is a quick question. I am pretty good with the car, I have changed my spark plugs, cleaned the intake and plan on replacing my radiator hoses soon. Is a timing belt replacement something that is easily (and safely) done at home with a good walkthrough, or something best left to the pros. I will more than likely also seek to replace the water pump at the same time along with the other 3 accessory belts (approaching 120k miles)

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
If you don't line everything properly, you can damage the engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
elantra was my first diy timimg belt change. it wasnt that bad really from what ife heard about other vehicles. with a good walkthrough, its pretty manageable. search the forum, thats how I learned to do mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts