Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
POwned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m feel bad enough as it is about this f*** up I caused. :mad:
I changed the timing belt on my 03 Elantra GT. Checked and double check to make sure cylinder 1 was still TDC, as well as the cam lined up with there marks. I went to check the sound of the timing belt to insure that I had it taut enough and didn't squeal, before I put back on the accessory belts. So I turned the engine on and it sounded great, went to turn it off and before my hand touched the keys I heard a pop/bang or clunk sound, it was loud and the engine stop dead in its tracks. Turn the keys off pulled them out of the ignition walked around the car and looked at the crank shaft side of the timing belt. The timing belt had slipped off. All because ("I know I’m going to catch hell for this") I forgot to put the bolt and washer on the crank shaft to hold the timing belt gear that sits on the crankshaft on the key. So the timing was right I had done everything right, except that one bolt. That one bolt is going to be an expensive bolt to forget to put on. So this is what I have planed for tomorrow and I’ll let you know what I find out.

1. Check compression on all cylinders. (cake walk) hopefully I wont have any holes in my pistons.
2. Pull the head off and the cams and count how many valves are bent and need to be replaced, so I can order them or buy them from you guys if you have any lying around. (not so much of a cake walk) FML

The thing that gets me most about this mistake I made is; this is what I was trying to prevent from happening. Bent valves or holes in my pistons. Never will I make this mistake again.:hand:

Any thoughts on other ways to go about this or something I’m not thinking about doing that needs to be check first, or somthing I missed, that you might think of that could help. it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys,:confused:

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not too much damage.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
If you do a leak down test it should tell you if the valves are bent without removing the head. MAybe that will save you a little time and effort.

·
POwned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bob i'll look into that

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
You're ****ed. Just get another engine. Buddy of mine did that and his head was HORRIBLY damaged. It'll be cheaper to get a junkyard motor and swap your stuff over wit ha new belt then wasting your time on the current motor.

·
POwned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
off with there head. got the head off, all 8 intake valves bent, springs look just a hair off square seals will be replaced. but no holes or cracks in the pistons from a visual inspection. but I’m going to pull them and have a magnetic test done on them to make sure there aren’t cracks that i cant see. so far I’m only 30 bucks into the engine. haven't bough a single part yet just some tools. also noticed that my harmonic balancer has a hair line crack in it. got to get one of those too.

---------- Post added 07-26-2010 at 11:25 AM ----------

You're ****ed. Just get another engine. Buddy of mine did that and his head was HORRIBLY damaged. It'll be cheaper to get a junkyard motor and swap your stuff over wit ha new belt then wasting your time on the current motor.
i might just do that. been looking today at all the parts and adding them up. 319.96 so far and that’s without springs, or caps. if you know of a good place to buy a engine let me know. also looking into a full out evo swap but that’s still way up in the air.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts

·
POwned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I finished the valve job and cleaned up the head and block pretty good got the timing belt on and started her up. Sound good & runs better than before. Here’s the list of all I did.
8 intake valves- $8.17 ea
New cylinder head bolts- $27.79
Full upper cylinder head gasket set- $81.99
New timing belt $49.99

Added catch can in between valve cover and intake manifold- 1 soda
Capped off the heating to my throttle body. $6.98 + $3.99

Tools I bought
Magnetic over head valve remover installer $42.52
Torque wrench- $19.99

Chain vise grip- borrowed

so all in all i still saved some money by not taking my car to the dealership to have the timing belt replaced. and i learned alot about my car.

if you want to see the pictures see my album "valve job"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts