Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been beaten already but I was wondering what causes tires to become unbalanced? I know it is everyday use and wear from the road, but if the wheel is round, why doesn't it wear evenly?

Is it the tire or maybe certain brands of tires? I have noticed that I get additional weights each time I take my rims to get rebalanced and I was wondering what the cause was.

I'm on 215/35/18 khumo(sp?) supras.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Tires wear uneavenly no matter what you do. Every time you stop, take off, turn a corner, the force is applied differently. You lose parts of the tire, in very small increments. If you notice, they are probably only adding like .25 oz. at a time. Thats not a whole lot. Plus, Austin roads suck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yep every day driving will wear those suckers down rather slowly but things like pot holes or burning rubber obviously greater accelerate tire decay in the areas affected.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Not to mention that the wheels and tires are not perfectly round and balanced down to the 1/2 oz from the factory. Everything is pretty close but you need the balancing to fine tune it. Also the valve can throw the balance off a little.

·
Registered
275 Posts
desband said:
I'm sorry if this has been beaten already but I was wondering what causes tires to become unbalanced? I know it is everyday use and wear from the road, but if the wheel is round, why doesn't it wear evenly?

Is it the tire or maybe certain brands of tires? I have noticed that I get additional weights each time I take my rims to get rebalanced and I was wondering what the cause was.

I'm on 215/35/18 khumo(sp?) supras.

Thanks.
1. Improper tire pressure
2. Improper lug torque settings
3. Alignment
4. Road hazards, you know...pot holes, curbs, old ladies, little kids
5. damage to rim (bent or out of round)
6. the tire itself, low rated treadwear

Lot of factors which affect the tire balance. I much rather used tape weights than ones which attach to the edge of the rim.

Good luck
Gregster

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I guess that stuff is all common sense now that I think about it. I just saw all of the weights and that it was a bit much but adding it up, it's only 3 1/4 ounces so I guess it's ok.

Here's another question: What pressure are ya'll running for tires? I'm a daily driving and don't race or go to the tracks (chrome rims) so I just need daily driving pressure levels. Thanks guys.

Also, what do ya'll torque your lugs to? I don't do that. I just tighten til it's snug so that would be nice to know also. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts