Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

To all you smokers out there ....

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Elantravision 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to start a thread that links anti-smoking websites, images, etc...
As an ex-smoker... I always try to get people (friends & family) to stop smoking because I know how bad it can be for your health.

Here is the list.

1: http://www.tobaccofree.org
2: http://www.Quitnet.net

#4 ·
I am personally all for the grow some balls and have some self control and quit on your own meathod. If you want something bad enough it's amazing the power your mind can have over your body. I'm not putting you guys down if you used the gum or patch, whatever works best for you is the winning solution but I'm just not a fan of the over medication of modern society. It took me a couple tries but the first couple weren't serious efforts and after smoking for 5 years I've been cigarette free for 4 1/2 years(not a single puff the whole time). The hardest thing was breaking the connection between drinking and smoking and that was where I failed the first couple times I tried to quit. A couple drinks and one smoke didn't seem so bad untill I woke up the next morning after smoking a pack and a half the night before.

#5 ·
To curb the habit, bars, clubs and the like will be going totally smoke free in Toronto and the surrounding area starting June 1/04. There will be designated smoking areas that will take up about 25% of the place, but even that will be gone in 2007. There are also several cities in Ontario that are smoke free as well. - Just some FYI.

#8 · (Edited)
I only smoked for about 5 or 6 months but I just quit one day cold turkey because I couldn't find a good reason to justify spending $6 a pack. I know for some people it's hard but if you do stuff to take your mind off it then it makes it easier. My advice is ask friends to help you, if they are anti-smoking they'll know what to do, I know my friends did. :D

#9 ·
I also used the "grow some balls" method. Smoked for 3.5 years, quit 2.5 years ago. It was only really hard at first, and when drinking. I still get 'urges' sometimes. When I was first going through it, I used 'swisher sweets' to get the oral fixation and keep the cigarette away from my mouth. (Just don't inhale, and don't get too hooked on those things). That only lasted about a month.

#11 ·
I'm lucky. I never started in the first place. When I was ten, my grandmother died due to complications that arose from many years of smoking. From as early as I can remember she had to use a portable oxygen tank just to get enough air to be comfortable. I know some would say, just because it happened to her, doesn't mean its going to happen to everyone else. I agree with that, but why would I risk it?

Congratulations to those that have quit the habit.
And good luck to those that wish to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.