Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my TPS sensor last week on my 03 Elantra and fixed the issue I was having; however, now the car does not want to turn over on cold starts. Is there any way to calibrate these things? I do not own a voltmeter. Or should I just go to the dealership and buy the oem TPS?

·
Registered
172 Posts
A faulty TPS would not cause the starter to not crank. You probably have a different issue there.. will the car start at all? How many times do you have to try before it cranks over?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car starts and runs. Im just having this starting issue, like its not getting enough gas or something. The reason I thought it was the TPS is b/c I didn't have this problem until I changed it out. When I have the starting issue it usually only takes two tries to get her started. The first one just turns and turns without any ignition. After a few seconds I try again and she starts just fine, really kinda annoying. I will mess with it tonight and let you guys know if I get anywhere. Just wanted to know if the TPS had to be calibrated upon install, as I didnt do this when I installed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Fenixignition, I've already tried that, with the same results. I figured if I let the engine/fuel pump prime maybe it would start better, but unfortunately not. I'm at a loss for this one. I don't have any CEL codes showing up. I wonder if this is just a defective TPS. Do you guys think this is possible?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I spent a few hours on saturday cleaning the iat sensor and map sensor. I checked for vacuum leaks, wire corrosion, etc to explain this starting issue and I'm still at step 1. Just so everyone knows through several days of research our tps sensor is not adjustable, it is simply a plug and play swap. SO...... now that the problem is not my tps, could it be my iat sensor? I replaced it about 2 years ago b/c I broke it during a simple pcv valve replacement :mad:! Maybe I should check fuel pressure supply? I hear the fuel pump whine, so I am assuming it is working properly :confused:. Like I said before the car starts on the second try after sitting for more than an hour. Its like the car is not getting enough fuel. This is really weird and very annoying please help me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts