Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay, i've thought about this and am pretty sure i want to do this, but i'm not 100% sure yet.

i'm building an SQ audio system. i really don't think the stock tweeter position/angle in GTs and GLSs with tweets is particularly good for optimal imaging. i just picked up a new pair of a/d/s 236is separates and am seriously thinking of surface mounting the tweeters on the small black triangular trim piece next to the side mirror. this will place the tweeters higher, and much closer to the ideal 180 degree angle to each other. plus that corner of the door is relatively inconspicuous to the glancing eye.

the problem is i don't like the idea of having the stock tweeter grille if it's not being used. i really don't like form not following function. if there's no tweeter there, i don't want an empty grille. (i could leave the tweeter there unused, ready to hook back up when i sell the car, but it would constantly bother me that it's there). it's just a quirk of mine.

i know there are a lot of GLSers out there who are looking for these panels/grilles. i'd be willing to do an even trade for a set that lacks the tweets for mine, and i'll include the tweets that came stock. the catch is that i'd want to receive the GLS panels BEFORE i dismantle mine and mail them off. i can't afford to not have the panels before i do the install.

if i were to go ahead with this, would anyone want to participate in the trade? it's a great way to get a free upgrade, with the only caveat being that you have to send yours off first and wait a week or two before getting mine.

i'm just going to gauge response for now...if it happens, it will probably be in august.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
haha, thanks. but would that be a yay or nay for you? in fairness, IF this happens, i'll do the trade with the first person who PMs me indicating they'd be willing to do it.

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
If you don't mind that they are painted chrome....(i've taken the chrome off with paint thinner once, brought the pannels back to near-perfect stock condition) I'm willing to do a little shipping off.

How do the stock tweeters plug into the stock audio system? Any modding required?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keyan: sorry, i'm looking for totally stock w/out any imperfections (as mine don't have any either).

04elantracvvt: good point, i'll ask ilan, he should know for sure since he's had an 01 and an 04. if so, you're in.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I already have a set of both GT (in car) and GLS (in box in garage), so I don't really need this GT set. However, if you cannot find anyone to do the trade let me know and I'll trade ya. That way you can get the GLS set you're looking for, and I'll have a spare unpainted GT set to sit in my garage.

This is a good deal for the GLSers who are looking for the GT panels. It's not a hard swap, someone should jump on this. It'll take about 20 mins per door, and the wiring is already in the door, just plug in the GT speaker.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
If the 03 and 04 panels were the same (the drivers window switch and stuff is not) I would switch with ya in a second.....then I wouldnt have to drill holes to mount my tweeters.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
southpawboston said:
haha, thanks. but would that be a yay or nay for you?
I already have my GT panels installed, and my GLS ones sold, so nope.

Keyan said:
How do the stock tweeters plug into the stock audio system? Any modding required?
Many of the GLS's already have the wiring in the doors. I just plugged up the ones that came in my GT panels and ta-daa, 6 speaker audio. Some early 2001's apparently don't have the wiring.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey south paw I'd be happy to help you out. I have the GLS panels without the tweeters. I bought them from Super actually. The door panels you are talking about are the ones from the GT with the Vinyl inserts? If so then yeah just let me know where to send them. I don't mind waiting for them as long as it's not to long. But a week or two is fine.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
actually i was referring only to the black plastic trim piece that houses the tweeter, not the whole door panel. i wanted to position my tweeters higher up on the side mirror trim and not use the stock tweeter grille. but i decided to keep my tweeter location as stock and use the stock tweeter grilles, so the swap isn't going to happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts