Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a 98 Mitsubishi Eclipse last night for $14,200 it has the 2.4L turbo engine. Its green with a nice front bumper, the only problem is there is no rtear deck to cover the trunk. We will see today.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Warning about the Mitsubishi's. Hyundai stopped using their motors because of the inherent problem of oil burning. Their valve seals are weak, and seem to start leaking rather early in life. Ever noticed those Dodge Caravans that are more than 6 years old blowing blue smoke? That's cause they use Mitsubishi engines. Just my .02

·
Registered
281 Posts
04 elantra cvvt said:
Warning about the Mitsubishi's. Hyundai stopped using their motors because of the inherent problem of oil burning. Their valve seals are weak, and seem to start leaking rather early in life. Ever noticed those Dodge Caravans that are more than 6 years old blowing blue smoke? That's cause they use Mitsubishi engines. Just my .02

Yeap you hit the nail on the head. Make sure you get a compression test and leakdown test to make sure the motors at 100%. If it's not you should be able to get it for a good bit less. If you get it then get to work on building it for more boost :D .

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd love to import an Eclipse and get converted to RHD
As we don't have em over here and after seeing one in F&F i want one

Anyone over there with an Eclipse want to swap for a 96 Impreza WRX?
You pay shipping and call it a deal :drive:

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Why convert it to RHD? There are imported RHD drive cars here in the US, so why couldn't you have a LHD car in australia?

If I had an eclipse, I'd trade ya. I've always wanted the last generation style eclipse. Those were the best looking IMO.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
how many miles on the Eclipse? $14,200 for a 98 sounds High to me! That car is already 6yrs old!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yea my friend has a 1997 glant and it burns oil ....wouldnt be to pressed to trade in my car for a 1998.its kinda mixed up

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
Elantra2.001 said:
Where hell did they get a 2.4 liter from?? I thought the 4G was 2.0.
you're right, the other guy is misinformed

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
even 14,200 in Canadian that is like 10 or 11000 American right? Still sounds high! HOW MANY MILES ON IT?

·
Registered
76 Posts
To change a 4G63T 2.0 into a 2.4, you have to swap the crank from 4G64 (NA) and bore it over .030 (4g64 is the engine in the 2.4 in stratusi some eclipsus). The engine blocks are different so you need to have teh 4G64 block. Otherwise you'd only get 2.3L I got a friend who is big into DSM.

If it has been modded to a 2.4, there's been a lot of work done to it. At minimum you'd have to grind away some of the block inside so the conrod clears and have custom pistons

Alternately, according to this webpage, you can use the crank and engine block from a Hyundai Sonata [4GCS] and use a 4G63T cylinder head. However, in this page, he takes the Sonata crank and makes it work with the 4G63T block and head. Those crazy DSM'ers.
http://www.pinktemple.com/stroker.html

Either way the engine was made, i hope you're mechanically inclined, cause you are buying one hell of a custom engine. pray to the engine gods that nothing goes wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
$14200CAD = $10874.18USD. In S.E. Wisconsin a 1998 Eclipse GS-T w/ 75000 miles would be dealer priced at $9800USD. That also includes AM/FM/Cass/CD and moon roof and premium wheels and spoiler. I would haggle with the dealer to get closer to $8095USD = $10569.92CAD

(All prices based on Kelly Blue Book excellent condition.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts