Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had this issue for years, spanning a transmission change, transmission rebuild and an engine change.

When driving, if I'm driving aggressively, the car shifts from first to second fine, but shifts early from second to third, and then a few seconds later, back to second, and then shifts to third as normal. Occasionally, the car will get "stuck" in 3rd, and will only downshift my mashing down to the floor, and even then, it only goes to second. This is fixed by turning the engine off and back on.

Sometimes, if I reverse and then put it in drive, it takes a little while for the gear to fully engage. It might roll off a little slowly, then go, and when it does it's fine.

And finally, sometimes when driving at a constant speed, say on the highway, the engine would just seem to breathe better, or the transmission would feel like it shifted, and then just get an extra 500 RPM. A few moments later, the RPM may disappear.

On deceleration, if I let the car coast, the engine revs to maybe 1500, then dies to 1000, over and over until I hit the brake, or gas or something.

I was told once that the "solenoids weren't getting a signal", if that helps.

It's a 1997 Elantra, 1.6 DOHC automatic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ounce had a similar thing like what you explained and was almost convinced that it was the transmission...lucky for me i had an honest mechanic working on my car...he replaced the rear axel seal and i haven't had those problems since........hope that's it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.