Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2001 Elantra with 31,000 miles has recently developed an issue with its automatic transmission. The car seems to operate normally but then in about a minute or two driving, it tries to shift then a klunking noise occurs and the CEL goes on. After this occurs, the car is able to limp home albeit at a higher than normal RPM, indicating that a higher gear is lost.

I checked the CEL codes and found the following: P0715, P0755, P0765, and P1529. After some research, it looked to be that the input speed sensor was faulty. I went out and replaced the input speed sensor on the transmission but the shifting problem remains. The CEL was cleared when I had to move the battery out of the way during the sensor replacement. However, on the initial test drive, the CEL was tripped and was found to be P0755 and P0765 again.

The HMA service website lists the possible causes of both P0755 and P0765 to be either a open or short in circuit, a faulty solenoid valve, or a faulty PCM/TCM. I checked the resistance of the solenoid valves in question with a multimeter and got readings of 3.9 and 4.0 Ω. Specifications listed on HMA as "approximately 2.7~3.4 Ω."

Does this indicate that the solenoids are bad or is it something else? The transmission had been shifting fine prior to all this so it was a really abrupt change with two solenoids and a sensor going bad at the same time. Should I try a different TCM next or drop the pan and replace the two solenoids?

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
While I'm not sure about your particular problem, I can help a little bit.

When testing resistance, on ANY sensor, if it's more or less than what Hyundai recommends or says it should be, then it means the sensor is bad. In your case, your sensor appears to be seeing more resistance than necessary, which can allude to it being bad. Again, I could be wrong on my meaning/definition.

That would be my first thing to do, replace that sensor. If codes continue, then it basically falls to the PCM for the tranny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts