Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my car and this is a fantastic forum. Appreciate all the help so far.

I bought my 06 GLS 5sp knowing that the tranny had been replaced. Looks like a junkyard pull or similar. No idea of it's condition, unfortunately. Just solved an axle seal leak by having the oil seal replaced. Tranny sounds good while driving and shifts very nicely.

However, I noticed from the beginning a couple of things that concern me. One is that I occasionally hear what sounds like a loose or noisy bearing when the transmission is in neutral. So let's say I'm warming the car up on a cold morning, parking brake on, engine running, tranny in neutral. What gears and bearings are spinning at this time? Not noisy all the time, only sometimes. The other issue is when I push in the clutch I can feel some slight vibration in the pedal.

I won't be surprised if it's just a junk transmission but I'd like to have an idea in diagnosing it. When you press the clutch pedal, is it the throwout bearing that might be responsible for the vibrations? Does that bearing also spin in neutral or is there another bearing?

Whoever abused the car before I got it could have had a junkyard tranny installed but it is possible that the clutch and/or bearing were not replaced. Anyone's guess on this mixed bag of gears. What do you guys think?

Also, what are my options for tranny replacements? I did a Honda tranny once. Bought an eBay import for $120 and installed it myself. Not very fun but wasn't bad on a car that old. Is it a PITA on an 06 GLS? Are there better deals than eBay? What would the dealer charge?

Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added 01-26-2010 at 11:38 PM ----------

Found this link:
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-diagnose-manual-tranny-noises-save-some.html

I know it's for Honda's but that link points me to a faulty input shaft bearing. The other vibration when pushing the pedal would be throwout. If the input shaft bearing is taking a dump, is it cheaper to just replace the entire tranny than to split the cases and repair?

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 08:49 AM ----------

Anyone on here faced this dilemma before?

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
I believe the TOB always spins with the engine running, so that could be your problem.

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
With the tranny in neutral, does the sound change when you press and release the clutch pedal? If yes, it's the Throw-Out Bearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I hear the noise when the tranny is in neutral. When I press the clutch pedal to the floor, the sound stops. TOB or input shaft bearing? I'm still not sure.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 12:31 PM ----------

2hr drive and I could pick up an 06 Elantra tranny for $350. It has 38k miles. The car was wrecked. They already sold the engine. I assume the tranny to be pretty good. That seems like a tad high on the price but it also seems to be a good tranny. Should I pick it up now and sit on it or go looking for one down the road?

If it's just a TOB then I don't need to replace the tranny but I'd hate to go in and do the work, replace the TOB, then find out it's input shaft bearing. Might be cheaper to get this tranny and a new TOB and then at least I know I have a new TOB and a tranny with known mileage.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped by a repair shop in town yesterday but the tranny wouldn't make the noise. Probably because I had to drive it 5 miles first.

It absolutely positively is a noise that goes away when I push in the clutch. It has been 20f here and when I start the car in the morning, the noise is squealy rattly. Sounds like a spinning ring bearing of some kind to me. But it quiets down as I drive the car and/or when I press in the clutch pedal. I will still try and have a local diagnosis but still welcome any replies or personal experience.

This link (clutch animation) makes me think it's an input shaft bearing (assuming this type of clutch is what we have in the Elantra):
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

If let OUT the clutch pedal (engage the clutch), which DISENGAGES the throwout/pilot bearing, then I think the problem is the input shaft bearing. Why? Because now the engine is spinning and also the transmission is spinning. The main forces are at work against the transmission input shaft bearings, not the pilot/throwout bearing.

If I push IN the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch) , which ENGAGES the throwout/pilot bearing, and the sound goes away, then I think the problem is not the throwout/pilot bearing. Why? Because now the engine is spinning but the transmission is not spinning; the pilot/throwout bearing is under load but is not making the noise.

If this logic is reasonable then my options are to replace or repair the transmission. Since it has to come out either way, the labor is the same. My options are to repair the tranny, get a rebuilt one, or get a low-miles junkyard tranny. I would also have the option of replacing the clutch as well.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Think I've answered my own question.

To test for input shaft bearing problems, I drove the car down the road, clutched IN, but left the car in gear. The noise is still there. The clutch is disengaged this way but the tranny gearing and shaft is still spinning because the drive axles are. This means I need to repair or replace the transmission. :-(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the dealer's fault. They underfilled the transmission. I filled it to the correct level and the noise all but went away. It is still there slightly and briefly when I first start the car and the fluid and transmission are cold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
had the same problem but after a while the sound went away it was sorta like a grugita grugita grugita grinding type sound going along wiht the idle when the clutch pedal was out and it went away when i put the clutch in. weird thing was it sorta went away after a while but now i have a problem wiht my 4 gear synchronizer, tossing the car out of 4th gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts