Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Elantra and the int. wiper control and park does not work. The slow and fast speeds work fine. I have checked fuses and motor works fine (connected up spare working motor, and verified it worked, only on slow and fast wiper speeds as well).

According to the schematics the ETACM is responsible for the int wiper, timing control, and auto parking. I need to first get to the module (in back of ashtray/radio), check the power to it, and and the ground, and possibly replace it.

My question is which module is it behind the radio, upper one or lower one? Each one has a multi wire terminal connected to it. Both boxes have a sticker label HMC One is stamped "AT" (w/18 wire connector) the other has a 20 wire connector. Any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you, Todd

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Did you check the wiper switch already? And by "park", do you mean "off"?

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Todd, I'd check the switch first like Ricerrx7 said.

Then, I'd try going to www.hmaservice.com, create an account and look at the parts schematic for your car. You should be able to find out which box is which, and probably even the pin-outs for the connectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not checked the switch. When the switch is turned to int wiper, I hear a "click" behind the ashtray (ETACM area) the same as when I turn the switch for slow and fast speeds which both work.

I do want to check the switch, but don't know how to proceed. I have a printout from hmaservice.com, but I don't know physically where the test points are for the terminals they refer to. In the diagram they show ten terminals and reference M26-1 for the wiper switch. When I look for a component breakdown on the site nothing shows up (I see all other graphics and use IE as browser). At this point, I do not think it is the switch, but it would be good for me to check it to rule it out. I just need to know how to access it or were it is located. There is very little information out there. By looking at the schematics at the web site and by process of elimination the ETACM and switch are all that is left.

When I did a search on the website for EATCM nothing came up even though it is on the drawing for the schematic for the wiper. They do have a schematic of an ETACS that appears to be the same module, but the graphics are are very poor to figure out and it looks like they combine two separate modules in the drawing, M38-2 and M38-1.

To answer ricerrx7, the "park" position is where the wipers return to after they are turned off. Since my park position does not work they stop immediately where ever they happen to be during the wiper cycle.

Thanks for your help, Todd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you check the wiper switch already? And by "park", do you mean "off"?
I did not check the wiper switch since I don't know where it is located. I went to hmaservice.com, and found a procedure to check it, but not locate it.

The park position is the return position when the wipers are turned off and stop at the base of the windshield. Since park does not work for me the wipers stop at that very instant, which is usually in my view unless I time it just right.

Thank you for the advice.

-Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Then, I'd try going to www.hmaservice.com, create an account and look at the parts schematic for your car. You should be able to find out which box is which, and probably even the pin-outs for the connectors.
Thanks for the reply kylemorg. I have been a user of hmaservice for some time and have a schematic for the wipers. That is what lead me to the ETACM by process of elimination. I think the switch is okay since I hear a click in back of the ash tray, same click for turning on the low and high speed wiper speeds. I agree this is just an assumption. I do want to check the switch, but on hmaservice they do not show where the switch is located. I went to the component page and nothing showed up in the usual diagram window that pops up. I contacted them about this and they replied with an e-mail: "Thanks for your interest in HMAService.com. The isue your reported has been identified, and is a case of missing content files. Our content development team has been notified and is working to locate the files. Our network team will restore the content to the website as soon as it is available. This should be completed within the next week." Hopefully this will get resolved so I can see where the wiper switch is located.

I was able to locate a schematic of the ETACM, at least what looks like it, but they erfer to it as the ETACS in the index. The quality of the graphic is poor and difficult to read.

Thanks again for your help.

-Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have gotten a lot of good schematics from www.hmaservice.com, but not a component diagram. I do not know where the switch is or how to access it.

Thanks for the reply, Todd.

·
Registered
569 Posts
be sure to check all the fuses not just the wiper fuse. if the ETACM itself loses power this can happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ETACM powers other devices that all work. I have checked all the fuses that I can find, under the dash and under the hood. That doesn't mean I may have missed a hidden fuse somewhere, but by looking at the schematic there are no other fuses for the wiper or ETACM.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
The switch is in the stalk sticking out of the steering wheel where you turn on the wipers...

You should check to see that you're getting continuity at the right pins for intermittent, low and high speeds from it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The switch is in the stalk sticking out of the steering wheel where you turn on the wipers...

You should check to see that you're getting continuity at the right pins for intermittent, low and high speeds from it.
I know where the switch control is for the wipers, but where is the electrical connector (somewhere under the steering column???) located so I can check out?

Thanks. Todd

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
there is a "kick panel" (don't know how to call it) right under the steering wheel, pry it off (it's just clipped there) and you'll find 4 connectors (I think it's 4, might be 3) going in both switch. You just have to trace the wires from the wipers switch and check that connector.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is a "kick panel" (don't know how to call it) right under the steering wheel, pry it off (it's just clipped there) and you'll find 4 connectors (I think it's 4, might be 3) going in both switch. You just have to trace the wires from the wipers switch and check that connector.
Thanks jalmir.

I will give it a try.

-Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem was the ETACM. This was replaced and now the intermittent wiper control and park position work.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Huh... Interesting. The solid state relay or the supporting electronics in the EATCM must have failed.

I'm glad you got it fixed! Good job!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I opened the original EATCM box and removed the G10 circuit board for a quick inspection. I have not checked the relay itself, but did find a cold solder joint just beneath the relay. I would like to repair it, check it out, and re-install it just to see if it works, but it's too much overhead with the re-installation.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Thanks. I opened the original EATCM box and removed the G10 circuit board for a quick inspection. I have not checked the relay itself, but did find a cold solder joint just beneath the relay. I would like to repair it, check it out, and re-install it just to see if it works, but it's too much overhead with the re-installation.
Well, you could always fix it, and wait until this happens to someone else so they can be your guinea pig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts