Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Soon-to-be father-in-law is looking at buying a new truck. It will be his first new truck in 20 years. He doesn't believe in replacing cars just because something newer is out (like I do). Anyway, he's narrowed it down to 2. I don't follow trucks too closely, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you know any pros/cons to these two trucks. This truck will be for working, hauling around loads of mulch, rototillers, trees, etc. It will also pull a fishing boat. It will have a V8 engine. Please don't suggest other trucks, as these are the two he's trying to decide on now, I just want to be able to forward any helpful suggestions on either of these vehicles to him. Here are the two trucks:

1. 2004 Ford F-150
2. 2004 Nissan Titan

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Personally I don't like Ford and do like Nissan. I've gone through two Ford cars and they were noting but a couple of steaming pos. Supposedly the trucks are better but I find it hard to believe when the cars were soo bad. My family has had a couple Nissans and they have been great vehicles. Most recently my parents bought a 02 Xterra with the supercharger and have put on about 35k trouble free miles with a good number of those carrying a full load driving through the mountains or in the Nevada or Utah deserts. And when I say driving through the mountains that means one lane 4wd required dirt logging roads with ruts that would swallow half an XD or more, not I-80. I was actaully a little nervous on some of the roads they took us on when I was out there visiting. A couple times you'd look out the passenger side and see a wall of rock and then look out the other and see a couple thousand foot drop with no shoulder and no gaurd rail of any kind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My friend has a Ranger FX4-Level II with manual tranny. He's never had a problem with it so far and it's very reliable.

He let me borrow it one day so that i could move my stuff from my old apt to my new apt in NYC, and that little truck took everything i had in my apt with ease.

I'm sure the F-150 is as quality truck as the Ranger. A truck can't be the best selling truck in USA without being reliable and powerful enough to haul all kinds of stuff.

I'm not saying the Titan is worse. It got some amazing reviews from many magazines and i think it was the truck of the year or something like that... but F-150 isn't so bad either.

·
Registered
687 Posts
2004 Nissan Titan all the way.Were on our 2nd Nissan truck and will never go back

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I've heard that Ford is having a LOT of problems with their automatic transmissions, so if he decides on a Ford, make sure he gets the manual transmission.

Axel

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
I would go with the titan. its more powerful, has a 5spd tranny, is cheaper, gets the same gas mileage.

a good thing to have for towing is a locking rear end. I know ford has a limited slip, but I'll have to look at the nissan.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I used to work on lots of fords.That why I will never get a ford.I never had the the problems with any of our Nissan that we had with ford.Hell we have less problems at KIA than we did at ford.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
price wise you will be able to get a ford f150 for less money i believe . . i heard on the radio they were selling f150's for 11k here in miami . .. and i heard the titans are lik in the higher 20's? maybe that was for like fully loaded top premium package . . . anyway as far as reliability go with the one with the most warranty. i know that ford has been around for a long time and is one of if not the best selling truck(im not sure) but things change and the titan didnt exactly make a quiet entrance criticwise if you know what i mean . . so thats my suggestion go look at warranty and test drive both and go by cold hard facts and see which gives you more for your money . . .good luck

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Yeah there is no way you can get a new F-150 for 11k unless it doesn't come with an engine doors or wheels. The Nissan does have a better warrenty than Ford. Ford is still doing the 3y/36k on everything.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea the warrenty is the only major difference I can find right now. This is a hard decision to make, glad it's not me making it - I'd be worried for the first 3 months that I should've bought the other one. We'll see what he decides, but I'm kinda pulling for the Nissan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gotta go for the Titan. More room inside and out, not to mention the locking rear and towing capabilities...and it looks cool too. Only downside to that truck is the price...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
here in miami a place called (i think this is what i heard) Phil Smith Ford is challenging anyone to beat their f150 price of 14,5K . . . yeah its probably stripped of all the extras but not a/c and all the normal operational things . . . and on maroone.com (another south florida dealer/part of autonation) an f150 was going for 18,7 i believe . . . shop around or just take a drive to a major city and you might find a better deal

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
I know most of the salesmen at work drive ford trucks....I think they are the most reliable. The titan is still new though, it does have a stylish look which i like, what do I know I have never owned either.....i am finished w/this post.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts