Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just wanted to share the new dynamat and dynashield coated trunk that I have....(one more mod off the list)

A little touching up and the walls/flooring can go back in (along with the tiburon subwoofer!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why didn't you do were the spare goes? That would help alot to. Did you run out of dynamat? Also did you do the lid of the trunk cause that will cut down rattle ALOT.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
you should most definitely do the spare tire....why does everybody think they have to cover the whole bottom of the trunk??? i know with my cascade audio stuff....i only needed 6 peices...and they are spaced out a little bit and there is nothing..... :eek:

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am waiting for 2 bulk packs of dynamat to come (hopefully monday)
...then I can do the spare well and the floor/doors of my car!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
When I installed infinity component speakers they rattled but after using that stuff around the edges it was great... but recently i got a 500watt JL amp and a JL w6... and the rattling on the outside is horrible. Inside I cant hear much of the rattling at all since the highs over come all outside noise. I believe the problem is mostly with the loose seal of the trunk lid to the trunk. When i push hard onto bottom of the trunk lid while its closed near the lock thingy, the rattling is greatly reduced. I put 8sq ft dynamat on the trunk lid and the license plate but it does nothing. So maybe ill try to take out the spare and do around there or even see if theres a way to make the latch lock hold tighter onto the lid cuz that would cure the rattle without any need of dynamat. Cuz a whole trunk kit (20sqft) retails 150+ tax and the wedge (4sq ft) which is what i bought in is 35+ tax. So tightening the lid would save alot of money. (but im sure its cheaper on ebay, just didnt want to wait for the auctions) Plus this stuff adds alot of weight... being that its a layer of tar and foil. So i wouldnt suggest it for those wanting to reduce the weight of their car for racing. By the way i have a GLS 02.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Get some weather stripping and put it around the seal on the trunk, I have done that before and it helped a lot w/o any dynamat.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't know about you guys but my rattle comes from the license plate and frame. I've got the entire trunk dynamatted, the trunk lid filled with expanding foam and then dynamatted and when I turn my sub up over +7 gain the damn plate still rattles! Course, I can't hear it inside the car but its still kinda annoying. I figure the solution is to drill two more holes in the deck lid and bolt the bottom of the plate down SOLID. Just haven't got around to it yet....

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
slvrsleeper said:
I don't know about you guys but my rattle comes from the license plate and frame. I've got the entire trunk dynamatted, the trunk lid filled with expanding foam and then dynamatted and when I turn my sub up over +7 gain the damn plate still rattles! Course, I can't hear it inside the car but its still kinda annoying. I figure the solution is to drill two more holes in the deck lid and bolt the bottom of the plate down SOLID. Just haven't got around to it yet....
On my old mini-truck I used two blocks of semihard rubber and some 2 sided tape to "stick" the plate to the truck instead of drilling two more holes.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I tried that, and then I tried two sided velcro neither one worked too well. Thats what I get for using a ten inch sub...

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
I put an old rubber mouse pad behind mine. I cut two holes in the mouse pad for the bolts and then cut it to the shape of the licence plate. Seems to work good.

·
Registered
732 Posts
jacksonj said:
I put an old rubber mouse pad behind mine. I cut two holes in the mouse pad for the bolts and then cut it to the shape of the licence plate. Seems to work good.
Good Idea, also you might want to see about screwing inthe bottom holes as well, less room for movement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a similar product to dynamat on the back of my plate and I also took to round rubber washers and installed them between the plate and the car. You can get the washers at Home Depot in the plumbing section.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Well i solved my rattling by just dynamating the whole lid to the edges, underneath where the spare was, behind the license plate and it works fine. Just i had to put 3 layers around the latch on the lid since thats where the bulk of the sub is hitting. So in total i used around 4 of the 4sq sheets (35 each) but i probably only needed 2 sheets if i knew exactly where the weak spots were.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts