Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just the facts please ...
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this stays, as there are a few other forums that have them ... for the highway drivers ... most information came from miscellaneous forums:

Rules

Post up only the following information:
- the type of vehicle used as an under-cover patrol car
- the date/time/location you spotted the under-cover
- any further distinct characteristics of the under-cover car
- optional: post up any pics you're able to take of them (800x600 max size please)

That's it... no other discussion should be allowed. Any posts beyond that of what's "allowed" should be deleted. This is designed only to keep each other aware of under-cover cars in our area and the thread should only get bumped with new sightings. With each posted sighting, hopefully someone will add a list of under-covers below so we have one compiled list.

===========================================

I-5 ~ Washington
• blue charger with 20's on it and the sirius style low profile antennas
• champagne colored Tahoe w/ Fox Racing sticker on back window
• grey charger
• Silver Chevrolet Malibu
• Burgundy Chevy S-10 ('90s model). push bar, spotlight, dark tint
• White Acura NSX, exempt tag 108-WSP

I-90 ~ Washington
• Blue Ford Escape
• Black Ford Escape

Redmond/Bellevue, Washington
• Light blue Charger w/ tint
• Dark blue Charger w/ satellite antenna on the trunk lid, which looks like a small cap, tint, 17" multi-spoke wheels
• Light Grey/Green Charger w/ satellite antenna on the trunk lid, which looks like a small cap, tint, 17" multi-spoke wheels
• Dark Grey Charger w/ tint, black wheels
• Silver Charger
• Silver Impala
• Maroon Impala
• White Expedition
• Black Expedition
• Blue Chevy Cavalier
• Red Honda Civic, lowered, tinted

West Seattle, Washington
• Dark blue Dodge Magnum w/ a soccer ball sticker on the back

Auburn, Washington
• '90-ish Maroon Chevy Astrovan

Olympia/Hawks Prairie
  • Black Silverado w/black out glass
  • Silver Dodge Charger w/black stripes

Kitsap County
  • 2 new chargers black with really dark tint
  • 1 Subaru Legacy black with tint
  • 1 or 2 dark purple Dodge Intrepids dark tint
  • Teal Green Dodge Charger new to WSP-Bremerton
  • Black Dodge Charger
  • Blue Crown Vic Lieutenants Car

Clallam County/Jefferson County
  • Grey Chevrolet Impala--Black Tint (2004) Patrols SR104 @ Hood Canal Bridge to US-101/SR-104 Interchange (Jefferson and Clallam Counties)
  • Maroon Ford Crown Vic--No Tint - Patrols US 101 @ Jefferson/Clallam County Border to US 101 / SR-112 Interchange
  • Brown Ford Expedition--Black Tint (2006) - Typically Patrols Jefferson County between Jefferson Clallam County Line to Jefferson/Mason County Line and to Port Angeles

Snohomish County
• White Camaro F-body LS1
• Blacked-out Charger
• White Tahoe
• White Explorer (new bodystyle)
• All black 07 Silverado crewcab with black canopy and dark tint
• White Chevy Colorado w/ a lumber rack

Pierce County
• Green Volvo
• Blue Impala

Skagit County
• Light Blue Crown Vic
• Red Chevy Blazer (newer body style)

Clark County
• Blacked-out BMW Motorcycle (WSP)
• Red Ford Taurus, unmarked with flashers in headlights and tails
• All black Ford F350 crew cab with a black canopy & a black LADDER/LUMBER rack on top

Portland, OR
• Red Mustang (new body style), tint
• Silver honda odyssey mini-van w/ tint
• Grey/Graphite Mustang (new body style)
• Grey/Graphite Mustang (previous generation)
• Lt blue charger-NO MARKINGS AT ALL. no antenas no visable lights.
• Mid blue charger-same as above
• Silver charger-same as above.

Salem, OR
• White Mustang (new body style) w/ grey center-striping, tinted, clear lights in grille and mirrors
• Silver cadillac CTS

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Or you could drive the speed limit. You won't have to worry about watching out for cops, you'll save gas, save money on wear and tear, won't have to pay for tickets, and it's safer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Or you could drive the speed limit. You won't have to worry about watching out for cops, you'll save gas, save money on wear and tear, won't have to pay for tickets, and it's safer.
I'm glad there was a post with common sense as a first reply. If you have to worry about cops in general then you are either doing something illegal or you have cops doing something illegal.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I agree with Adam. Go the speed limit. Threads like this only promote jackass driving. Police agencies may even monitor car forums as well. I know Pierce County and Kent PD do.

On I-5, there is airplane patrols so you don't see a car. The planes don't necessarily use radar, but they pace the car then call for ground backup.

Best bet is to go the speed limit.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
columbusracing.com is full of people who post about where cops sit... and then they claim they don't condone street racing.

yeah.

·
Registered
887 Posts
you ALWAYS have to be aware of cops.

especially if you are a young minority male...driving a modified vehicle

ugly.. but its the damn truth.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
columbusracing.com is full of people who post about where cops sit... and then they claim they don't condone street racing.

yeah.
Since I work in a detention center this year, I do get to see and talk to cops more often. I do know my county and local police agencies do monitor several forums that post this type of stuff. I know the guards have discussed some of the forums because they see me accessing them for classroom material. A couple have asked me directly if I think the forums I'm on encourage racing and agressive driving. I just give them the website address and tell them to look. They know I don't condone it, but when I'm a member of a website that posts about street battles, it makes it look that I encourage such behavior.

I do know WSP has several Subie WRX STi's for agressive driving patrols.

You dart in/out of traffic, follow too close, pass someone too fast (in other words, drive like an ***) you are bound to get a ticket with a stamp that states it is an agressive driving unit pulling you over, the judge might not let you get off that easily.

Tacoma and Lakewood have red light cameras that do monitor speed. Lakewood also has cameras that are in school zones.

you ALWAYS have to be aware of cops.

especially if you are a young minority male...driving a modified vehicle

ugly.. but its the damn truth.

If you drive sensibly, you should have no problem. Minority or not, if you call attention to yourself, you just cause more headaches for yourself.

Having a modified car does not matter unless the mods are too agressive.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Yeah, that would be saying the same thing because I have a radar detector in my vehicles. I don't speed, I set the cruise control for 5 over the speed limit, it is just nice to know when they are around, sometimes I start tunnelling and lose track of where I am.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Yeah, that would be saying the same thing because I have a radar detector in my vehicles. I don't speed, I set the cruise control for 5 over the speed limit, it is just nice to know when they are around, sometimes I start tunnelling and lose track of where I am.
You should never tunnel in any situation. Who knows if a speeder darted your way and you had to try to avoid the car/truck.

Cops don't necessarily have to be on the ground. Air patrols are becoming more common and used for certain types of patrols. You don't know if they are in a car or in the air. Best idea is to assume the cop is in the car next to you or above you. If you worry about it too much, you end up messing around and appear suspicious to cops.

As far as street racing, it is deadly. Last week a person was killed because he chose to race another car on highway 512 in Puyallup. His engine was sent flying 100 feet from the wreckage.

I don't have a problem with cops. I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Obviously we don't approve speeding or street racing here at EXD, but still, I think this type of thread could be helpful. Never hurts to know what is out there.
Then please remove all the whinny posts from the good drivers ... we all need this info, just some will not accept it. Please remove this post too.

As far as street racing, it is deadly. Last week a person was killed because he chose to race another car on highway 512 in Puyallup. His engine was sent flying 100 feet from the wreckage
That happened at 5:30 am ... semis were to blame, not racing. Unless your talking about another crash ...

It made me 30min late!!

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Re: Under Cover Watch - Pacific Northwest

Then please remove all the whinny posts from the good drivers ... we all need this info, just some will not accept it. Please remove this post too.

That happened at 5:30 am ... semis were to blame, not racing. Unless your talking about another crash ...

It made me 30min late!!
No. Street racing was to blame. http://www.kirotv.com/slideshow/news/14638553/detail.html

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14637835/detail.html

Read the article.

Sounds like you are winy because you seem to want to act stupid on the road and worry too much about cops. Bringing attention to yourself just makes you a target. You are saying, hey look at me. I like to go fast in my black car.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
You should never tunnel in any situation. Who knows if a speeder darted your way and you had to try to avoid the car/truck.

Cops don't necessarily have to be on the ground. Air patrols are becoming more common and used for certain types of patrols. You don't know if they are in a car or in the air. Best idea is to assume the cop is in the car next to you or above you. If you worry about it too much, you end up messing around and appear suspicious to cops.

As far as street racing, it is deadly. Last week a person was killed because he chose to race another car on highway 512 in Puyallup. His engine was sent flying 100 feet from the wreckage.

I don't have a problem with cops. I leave them alone and they leave me alone.
You are right, you shouldn't - doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you say it doesn't happen to you, then you are lying to yourself, it happens to everyone especially if it is a long drive down a familar road. I drive 60,000+ miles a year in my company vehicle, not including what I put on my personal vehicles. I have been in 2 accidents in the last 15 years and both were not my fault, I was rear ended in both situations. One of them was in stop dead traffic, the lady behind me was on her cell phone she saw the lane next to her move and she stepped on the gas before she looked forward to see if we were moving.

·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Different accident then ...

And just cause I post something like the above you think I like to drive fast or illegally? Where did that come from? This topic was supposed to be for people that might be interested, no matter the reason.

The whiny ones come on here and post, with puffed out chest, "why would you need that information if you don't break the law" ... what a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm done ... drive legally there buddy and don't forget to keep the car legal too, don't want to break any laws now do you :eek:

See ya next year ...

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
You are right, you shouldn't - doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you say it doesn't happen to you, then you are lying to yourself, it happens to everyone especially if it is a long drive down a familar road. I drive 60,000+ miles a year in my company vehicle, not including what I put on my personal vehicles. I have been in 2 accidents in the last 15 years and both were not my fault, I was rear ended in both situations. One of them was in stop dead traffic, the lady behind me was on her cell phone she saw the lane next to her move and she stepped on the gas before she looked forward to see if we were moving.
Best thing to do is not drive for LONG periods. I can for maybe 2 hours; any longer I have to get out of the car to walk around. My body requires that. As you get older, you should do this more.

·
Registered
887 Posts
cln man.. i dont know what world you live in... but 'leave them alone' doesn't work for everyone...

this information can mean the difference between life and death..

an innocent traffic stop because someone 'looks' like a suspect can lead to police brutality and innocent life lost...

why? maybe the person they pulled over had emotional problems... who knows.. they were innocent until treated guilty. .. but if they knew it was a cop and to stay as far away as possible..... life goes on.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
cln man.. i dont know what world you live in... but 'leave them alone' doesn't work for everyone...

this information can mean the difference between life and death..

an innocent traffic stop because someone 'looks' like a suspect can lead to police brutality and innocent life lost...

why? maybe the person they pulled over had emotional problems... who knows.. they were innocent until treated guilty. .. but if they knew it was a cop and to stay as far away as possible..... life goes on.
When you show fear when a cop is around. Same goes for quick glances in their direction frequently. That gets the cops attention.

While it is true a lot of hispanic and black people are pulled over rather than whites, a lot of people who are in those categories do cause a lot of trouble, more so than white people do, which is likely why those *races* are noticed more and get pulled over more often. A lot of hispanic and black people are not as successful and to a lot of people (not just cops), it looks odd for someone who falls in that category to be driving a car that is newer and/or modded. The assumption is there that the car does not belong to the the driver. Cop then wonders if the driver is the registered owner and chooses to check it out. A license/registration check solves the issue. They do not violate your rights by checking your license/registration. Now, if they happen to notice a defect, they can tell you about that, which you should be keeping up with maintanance/lighting beforehand.

With modded cars, they will be a target if they stand out too much. A lot of cops target them because the drivers tend to drive too agressively and the mods make the car more noticeable. I get the same reaction when I drive my truck. The engine is louder than stock and the rear wheels are 16 inches wide. I often get looks from cops when I drive it because the wide rear tires make it look like it is not street legal at first glance, even though the Mickey Thompsons are DOT approved and are stamped as such. With that, I don't pay attention to them although I know they are there.

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts
When you show fear when a cop is around. Same goes for quick glances in their direction frequently. That gets the cops attention.

While it is true a lot of hispanic and black people are pulled over rather than whites, a lot of people who are in those categories do cause a lot of trouble, more so than white people do, which is likely why those *races* are noticed more and get pulled over more often. A lot of hispanic and black people are not as successful and to a lot of people (not just cops), it looks odd for someone who falls in that category to be driving a car that is newer and/or modded. The assumption is there that the car does not belong to the the driver. Cop then wonders if the driver is the registered owner and chooses to check it out. A license/registration check solves the issue. They do not violate your rights by checking your license/registration. Now, if they happen to notice a defect, they can tell you about that, which you should be keeping up with maintanance/lighting beforehand.

With modded cars, they will be a target if they stand out too much. A lot of cops target them because the drivers tend to drive too agressively and the mods make the car more noticeable. I get the same reaction when I drive my truck. The engine is louder than stock and the rear wheels are 16 inches wide. I often get looks from cops when I drive it because the wide rear tires make it look like it is not street legal at first glance, even though the Mickey Thompsons are DOT approved and are stamped as such. With that, I don't pay attention to them although I know they are there.
Not only the things you mentioned, but people with riced out or sh!tty cars are more likely to get pulled over because cops are looking for other stuff; warrants, expired tabs, etc. And that's direct from a cop. (not me, my brother) If two cars are speeding, one is a ricer and one is a soccer mom, the ricer is gonna get pulled over every time. Soccer mom is unlikely to have warrents, unpaid tickets, FTA's, etc etc. My brother has nailed more people with warrants over expired tabs and burnt out lights than anything else.

I've been pulled over for having lights out before but the cops just checked my license, reg, insurance, told me about the light and let me go. I've also been pulled over for speeding and be let go too. I think a lot of it depends on the cop and how you interact with the cop. But, Washington is notorious for giving tickets, even for as little as 10mph over the limit. Back in Cali, cops wouldn't even look at you until you were 15mph over the limit and in some places 20mph over.

As far as unmarked cops in my area, it's mostly suburbans, crown vics, blazers and the occasional camaro; suspect any vehicle that is maroon. But they're not smart enough to tint the windows out so you cant see the light bar inside. Duh. We don't really need unmarked cars, there's so many cops as it is unmarked are pretty much useless.

·
Search is your friend.
1,610 Posts
Hey here is an idea....quick fighting over this stupid bull****. James has ok'd the topic if you want to go off-topic please make another thread.

I noticed you only have WA but I live in FL

Safety Habor/Oldsmar Area

Blue S10 with bed cover
Silver Charger looks stock
Black Ford F350 Diesel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.